Want to write... Out of idea

  • Thread starter Thread starter Writer_for_God
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Writer_for_God

Guest
Hi,
I want to start writing again, particularly lyrics for songs, but I feel like I have run out of all my ideas. I can’t think of much new to write about. I mainly want to focus on poems and lyrics, but I think about it, and nothing good comes out. Please pray for me. I hear that St. John of the Cross is a patron saint of poets, so please ask for his intercession as well. I will let you know if I can get my mind unblocked and actually write something decent.

Thank you all.
God bless you. Amen.
 
I’m a writer, and when I get writer’s block, I try to do a few things. Maybe one or two of them will help you.
  1. Using real pen/pencil and paper (not typing of any kind), I write about having no ideas. Really. Just writing about whatever I’m thinking about–partly to stay in practice and write something, partly to get my feelings out (especially when that feeling is frustration). I don’t usually expect to get writing ideas by doing this, but sometimes that happens. If I get bored with that, I go for a walk and write about something I notice in that setting, even if I don’t think it’s going to generate any great ideas.
  2. Read. Especially interesting non-fiction, but fiction’s good, too. It’s just that non-fiction tends to give me more of a foundation for ideas.
  3. Get out of the house and go start a conversation with a stranger (within reason), or just people-watch. Especially people with a very different background and perspective than my own. Then I often write about it when I get home (again, without worrying about generating ideas, just getting my thoughts onto paper).
  4. Do something nice for someone else. Sometimes, when I can’t really go anywhere, that just means writing a handwritten letter to a friend or relative I haven’t seen in a while or baking cookies for a next-door neighbor.
  5. Draw, color, or doodle. I’m no artist, but this often helps when my writing is in the “same-old, same-old” rut.
  6. Listen to a new or totally different music style than I usually do (sometimes while drawing as in #5). I listen to at least two different songs in that style, even if I don’t listen all the way through both songs because I have discovered within the first five seconds that I hate that style of music! 😃
Will also say a prayer for you. :gopray2:
 
I used to love writing poetry in my free time- but education is more important now. =P
However, whenever I needed inspiration, I’d go look at art or read stories/other poems.
Anyways, I’ll pray for you. 🙂
 
My graphic design professor taught me a trick to help with such problems.

There are websites that are random word generators. You click on the button and whatever word comes up, think of these things:

-What is the first thing that comes to mind when you see this word?
-If applicable, what sounds, what tastes, what smells, what textures, what colors does this word create?
-What images come to mind?

Fiddle around with this and see what it can do for you. Best of luck, from one artist to another 👍
 
Ask your Guardian Angel for a prayer for a little inspiration. I have in my past asked him to help me with problem solving after a frustrating or long day.

You are in my prayers tonight!.🙂
 
Praying for you. (I have the opposite problem; when I write, I write too much, and then I go through agonies when I have to prune it! :p)
 
*Relax !
It’s all just bubbling away under the surface.
Don’t be in a hurry to serve up something underdone.

I pray you have the courage
to allow God’s will to be done
in your writing as well as your life.
Amen.*
 
Have you named your writing ‘agency?’

Do you have a slush pile/file of old ideas?

Agatha Christie did dishes when she experienced writer’s block.

Check with the Writer’s Digest website and see if they have other ideas.

Songwriter & producer Richard Alden (a Catholic) told me to always pray before writing.

Not receiving ideas may indicate that you’re supposed to go do something else. When that task is finished, then God will sit at the comp with you.

Perhaps you and this poster can pray for each other:
forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=1013248

HTH

Blessings,
Cloisters
 
**Thank you, O God, for another day.
Help me to spend it wisely and to spend it well.
Grant that everything I do today may be done
as well as I can do it.
Grant that everyone I meet may be happier for the meeting.

Keep me all through today,
conscientious in my work;
truthful in my speaking;
loyal to my friends;
and faithful to those who love me.
Through Jesus Christ my Lord.
Amen**
 
Praying to St John for you.

May I also suggest some writing prompts? You can either use a random plot generator (as previously suggested), or you can Google Search “writing prompts” in the Images section and go from there. Alternatively, you can add a genre into your search too.

God Bless You!🙂
 
**
Prayer to St Francis de Sales: Patron Saint of Writers**

May the Lord guide me and all those who write. Through your prayers, St. Frances de Sales, I ask for your intercession as I attempt to bring the written word to the world. Let us pray that God takes me in the palm of His hand and inspires my creativity and inspires my success. St. Francis de Sales, you understand the dedication required. Pray for God to inspire and allow ideas to flow. In His name, let my words reflect my faith for others to read. Amen.
 

**
Prayer to St Francis de Sales: Patron Saint of Writers**

May the Lord guide me and all those who write. Through your prayers, St. Frances de Sales, I ask for your intercession as I attempt to bring the written word to the world. Let us pray that God takes me in the palm of His hand and inspires my creativity and inspires my success. St. Francis de Sales, you understand the dedication required. Pray for God to inspire and allow ideas to flow. In His name, let my words reflect my faith for others to read. Amen.
:signofcross:

​
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top