Was I being selfish by

• Thread starter Thread starter AllyPaige
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AllyPaige

My older sister came in my room and (very rudely and disrespectfully) told me she was going to take my old phone, which I keep on my desk. I told her I would rather her not, and she responded with “I don’t care. I’m taking it”. I then tried to explain that I may want to use it, and if it were hers, I couldn’t. So she said “use it or lose it.” and stormed out.

Now, keep in mind: my dad bought this phone for me on my birthday. And it is mine.

I haven’t used it in a little while because I got a new phone. I probably won’t use it much again, I just didn’t appreciate how she came in like she already owned it.

Was me not instantly handing my phone over a form of selfishness on my part?

Thank you 😊

This is something to speak with your parents about. I remember all the rows I had with my sisters, over everything from boys to blouses.

No, your sister was rude.
Is she severely in need of a phone? Does she have another way of getting one?
Maybe talk to your parents as TLL said.

Last edited:
There are going to be many situations in your life when you will need to respond to someone who is being rude, and setting boundaries against that feels, to a nice person, rude.

From your description, it sounds like you did a good job setting and keeping boundaries. Keep it up!

You are not being selfish. She cannot act like she owns other people’s stuff just because they have not used it in a while.

Was me not instantly handing my phone over a form of selfishness on my part?
No. There’s a fine line between selfishness and self-care. Self-care involves not letting people walk all over you and violate your boundaries - stealing one of your belongings, in this case. There are ways to be a loving and giving person without allowing rudeness. Would you have given the phone to her if she had asked nicely and made her case more reasonably?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back