Was the Blessed Mother subjected to temptation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ServantPD
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ServantPD

Guest
This might on the wrong forum, but seems to be the most appropriate, given its description…

We know from Holy Scripture that both Adam and Eve were subjected to temptation before they had fallen and became marked with Original Sin. We also know that Our Blessed Lord was subjected to temptation, but due to His divine nature, His human nature could not fall into sin, and He, obviously, did not fall into it.

But how about the Blessed Mother? She was in the same state of grace as Eve (with no Original Sin), but even though we learn from Sacred Tradition that she never fell into sin, it doesn’t explain wheter or not she was ever tempted, and if She was, how did She resist it, given that Her nature is entirely human, and did not have a Divine will like Our Blessed Lord.

So I guess my question, in short, is this: Was Mary subjected to temptation during Her life, and if She did, was there any particular reason that she succeeded in overcoming these temptations, given that Eve, in the exact same state (correct me if I’m wrong in this last proposition) failed to do so, and did not have Our Lord’s divine nature that prevented Her from sinning?
 
I doubt that you’ll get a straight answer here, but I suspect that mystics would treat Mary as being completely passive in mystical sense due to her feminine nature. Something to think about.
 
She was human, not divine, the only difference being that Our Lord preserved her from the stain of Original Sin, and thus she was born “immaculate” and sinless. However, she was human and thus was probably very much subjected to the same temptations as us… however I reason they would have easily been overcome since she was so close and intimate with her Divine Son and had received so much grace from God. I remember one time a priest at a church I had attended on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception said that she was tempted but because she was so strong from grace and freedom from sin, she could resist them and thus is a model to us of how to resist sin and draw closer to Jesus. and besides, I reckon that if Jesus could be tempted, so could his mother! Jesus was tempted many times, because he too was human! He was even tempted to not go through with the passion. at any time, he could have instantly stopped all of it and completed it in some other way. But he chose to go through with it because of his great love for us
 
She was with Jesus all the time.

Maybe God barred Satan from tempting Jesus whilst He was growing up and therefore couldn’t get to Mary either until later on.
 
This might on the wrong forum, but seems to be the most appropriate, given its description…

We know from Holy Scripture that both Adam and Eve were subjected to temptation before they had fallen and became marked with Original Sin. We also know that Our Blessed Lord was subjected to temptation, but due to His divine nature, His human nature could not fall into sin, and He, obviously, did not fall into it.

But how about the Blessed Mother? She was in the same state of grace as Eve (with no Original Sin), but even though we learn from Sacred Tradition that she never fell into sin, it doesn’t explain wheter or not she was ever tempted, and if She was, how did She resist it, given that Her nature is entirely human, and did not have a Divine will like Our Blessed Lord.

So I guess my question, in short, is this: Was Mary subjected to temptation during Her life, and if She did, was there any particular reason that she succeeded in overcoming these temptations, given that Eve, in the exact same state (correct me if I’m wrong in this last proposition) failed to do so, and did not have Our Lord’s divine nature that prevented Her from sinning?
Eve could have resisted, she had free will and sanctifying grace. She freely chose to act on the temptation of Satan, and then she convinced Adam to disobey also.
 
Eve could have resisted, she had free will and sanctifying grace. She freely chose to act on the temptation of Satan, and then she convinced Adam to disobey also.
Yes.

I believe Mary was subjected to temptation like any other person. She did not sin because with God’s grace, she chose not to. She constantly submitted to the will of God. Like others said, Mary was always close to her Son, not just physically close to Him, but in her heart as well… the latter being much more important.
 
I personally feel that Mary was created spiritually perfect and at one with God. That she was endowed with the graces of the Holy Spirit to such a degree that temptation was immediately deflected. Even Jesus’ humanity was subject to attempts by Satan to tempt Him, but His spiritual perfection acted as an impenetrable armour, much as I believe was the case with His Blessed Mother.
 
Eve could have resisted, she had free will and sanctifying grace. She freely chose to act on the temptation of Satan, and then she convinced Adam to disobey also.
If Eve, having free will and grace had fallen, and Mary had not, what was the difference between the two? Had Mary more grace, so much so that She couldn’t sin, or was She simply more virtuous individually than Her ancestral counterpart?
 
If Eve, having free will and grace had fallen, and Mary had not, what was the difference between the two? Had Mary more grace, so much so that She couldn’t sin, or was She simply more virtuous individually than Her ancestral counterpart?
I share this site, as I am speechless as how to articulate a response.

socrates58.blogspot.com/2009/04/straightforward-biblical-argument-for.html

(When I don’t fully understand something I subject myself to the Magisterium of the Church.)
 
I personally feel that Mary was created spiritually perfect and at one with God. That she was endowed with the graces of the Holy Spirit to such a degree that temptation was immediately deflected. Even Jesus’ humanity was subject to attempts by Satan to tempt Him, but His spiritual perfection acted as an impenetrable armour, much as I believe was the case with His Blessed Mother.
Yes!

I remember a priest describing our Blessed Mother as a perfectly clear pane of glass that allows the Light of the Blessed Trinity to shine through. (no smudges). She is nothing without the Lord, and she knows it, in perfect humility.

(I hope I said that correctly!)
 
If Eve, having free will and grace had fallen, and Mary had not, what was the difference between the two? Had Mary more grace, so much so that She couldn’t sin, or was She simply more virtuous individually than Her ancestral counterpart?
What made Mary more virtuous than Eve was her decision to trust God. Eve did not trust God and chose instead to rely on the lies of the serpent. This was Eve’s downfall.

I also disagree on the concept of Mary’s feminine passivity as somehow protecting her from temptation. If that were the case, Eve should also not have sinned.
 
I also disagree on the concept of Mary’s feminine passivity as somehow protecting her from temptation. If that were the case, Eve should also not have sinned.
Nobody talked about such concept. I only brought in Eve because she’s clearly Mary’s paralel in the salvation narrative, and I wanted to figure out the bold difference between the two. 👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top