Wasting too much time

• Thread starter Thread starter Hanna3
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hanna3

I’ve been thinking about spending my time wisely for the past few days. With the virus thing still going on all of my classes are online. I do finish all my works for class, but I spend too much time on my laptop listening to songs (both spiritual and wordly), watching a movie that I’ve watched over and over again, and I also look through my phone and spend time on social media.
Everyday before going to bed, I say to myself that I will spend time wisely the next day, but I fail to do it. I was planning on praying more, especially the Rosary and starting my day by watching live Mass online. I want to gain my spiritual strength back and I feel like I’m so much in stress as I feel that I don’t love Jesus as he is loving me, with all His mighty and power.
Is this just me, or does anyone go through this? If so, how did you through this?

Thank You very much!

I have found that in dealing with procrastination in my life the one thing that has helped above all else is just committing to a little bit at first. For instance, if you have a large project that you have to do, just commit to starting one little thing with it. So for instance, if I have to fix something around the house but don’t feel like starting it because I have to get the tools out of the basement first, and then carry them all the way up to the second floor and only then start the project, I’ll commit to just getting the tools out and bringing them up to the second floor today and get everything ready. Then tomorrow I’ll start the project. This little trick has helped me again and again to deal with procrastination.

So to transfer this into the realm of prayer, instead of facing the often overwhelming prospect of putting the phone down and then doing a whole Rosary, just commit to doing one decade of the Rosary or just a few minutes of prayer at a time. I think I read years ago, that Pope Benedict did this method of praying one decade at a time over the course of the day. Instead of committing to watching/praying the Mass online everyday, just commit to doing one extra Mass a week for now.

Also, you could commit to doing a decade or 5 minutes of other prayer before you even pick up your phone or computer and make the device your reward for putting in your prayer time. And when we’re stressed out and suffering, it’s a good idea to not add to your stress with the prospect of long prayer sessions. Instead, pray a lot of short prayers throughout the day. I have a prayer book and in it there are a lot of short prayers that the saints have used for centuries. You could pray something, “O Jesus be with me today and every day.” There are tons of these short prayers. I’m sure if you looked it up you could find some that you like. Or, just make up your own.

I hope this helps!

We are living through a global pandemic, be easy on yourself. I too thought I would be watching Mass and doing a Rosary daily, plus a workout. But I couldn’t force it. My first few days I did daily Mass and then it started not appealing to me to do it daily so I make sure to do Sunday and then whenever I feel called to it. I felt like I should do the Rosary daily but wasn’t compelled to until yesterday. I watched the Urbi et Orbi because I was drawn to it. I threw in an Examen Sunday and that was good. I’ve kept up with my normal daily prayer and that is most consistent. I haven’t worked out once. All of this with trying to balance working from home, keeping up with loved ones, protecting myself from covid, worrying about the whole world, keeping my sanity, and fighting off nightmares. My whole point is do what you have the strength for and are drawn to do. The Holy Spirit knows what you need when you need it. Maybe that workout will happen for me soon enough.

Last edited:
You need a schedule drawn up the day before. Write down breakfast, lunch, dinner. Then fill in the spaces between. Allow fun time, rest time and exercise time.

We are living through a global pandemic, be easy on yourself
I agree, go easy on yourself. This is a new way of living for a lot of people, especially for those who are always on the go.

There are a lot of spiritual things you can do on line. Join a bible study class. Dig deeper into scripture… but don’t kick yourself for bein a little lazy, this strange new way of living will pass… and God willing we will go back to normal soon.

But if you feel you are waisting your time on the computer or watching TV, maybe you can discipline yourself to turn it off for an hour or two each day. Learn a new hobbie, read a bood… dance like a crazy person and get that excersize @catholiclala mentioned.

Time is what you make it… ask God to lead you to a way to make the most of it.

But if you feel you are waisting your time on the computer or watching TV, maybe you can discipline yourself to turn it off for an hour or two each day. Learn a new hobbie, read a bood… dance like a crazy person and get that excersize @catholiclala mentioned.
Do you know any Catholic Bible study classes online?

Man I’m sorry. I know they are out there because I was invited to a couple but I’m in a Daily Bready bible study on FB so I didn’t join.

Hopefully some one here will know of one.

Your good advice was meant for me too. I’m the world’s #1 procrastinator. It’s my worst fault.

Trying to perfectly follow a schedule and then beating yourself when you don’t follow it: me. Baby steps is what I’m learning, and more importantly, entrusting the effort to God and recognizing His presence in the day, while still engaging our will and choosing these resolves.

Trying to perfectly follow a schedule and then beating yourself when you don’t follow it: me. Baby steps is what I’m learning, and more importantly, entrusting the effort to God and recognizing His presence in the day, while still engaging our will and choosing these resolves.
True. One thing I’ve learned is that part of getting into a routine that works is failing at routines. I had just figured out a morning routine that works for me before the pandemic. That was years in the making of me trying and failing and figuring out what just will never work for me and what does, what I care about and what I don’t, what needs to be everyday and what needs to be when the mood strikes me, how much time something really takes me vs how much time I think/wish it takes me. Trying to follow a rigid schedule with each effort always failed, but I learned a lot along the way. And honestly, who’s judging besides yourself? It’s not a contest and you have nobody to impress. God is not taking score of your daily routine, he is looking into your heart. I think sometimes we fall into productivity/achiever culture, even in our spiritual life.

This is wise advice. No benefit from biting off more than one can chew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back