Watching tiktok compilations... mortal sin?

• Thread starter Thread starter catmarshmallow
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

catmarshmallow

Earlier, I was watching tiktok compilations and knew I maybe shouldn’t be as it could be wrong. I am now struggling with the question on if it would be a mortal sin, venial, or not sinful at all? My reasoning is due to the fact that these compilations are reposts of somebody else’s content on Youtube without it necessarily being approved by the creator of each tiktok. These compilation people are earning money off the videos as they are monetized and they seem to give copyright info for the songs in the description. Would they be stealing from the video creators and would this be wrong to watch? thanks.

Last edited:
I don’t think there would be any sin here on your part for the reasons you gave. There might be sin on the part of the person who is stealing other people’s content and reposting it, though, if done without permission and they are monetising it. I wouldn’t worry. Others might pitch in here.
In saying that, I don’t think TikTok is a spiritually beneficial place for young people, for various reasons. Impurity is one.

Thank you for your help :)) I was struggling with this idea in my head afterwards and your comment helped me feel much better! I try to stay away from the Tiktok app as it does not help me grow closer to God. Therefore, I have leaned towards better compilations online and then this struggle happened after. I appreciate your insight!

Tiktok is a newer social media platform where people can post videos with a sound in the background up to 60 seconds long.

Yes, sorry I did not clarify, but on Tiktok, people will create videos with a song as the sound instead of their voice. They can also use an audio somebody else created and mouth the words of that in their video.

Yes, sorry I did not clarify, but on Tiktok, people will create videos with a song as the sound instead of their voice. They can also use an audio somebody else created and mouth the words of that in their video.
Thanks. I guess it’s good I don’t have it as it sounds complicated.

No one can tell you whether something you did is a mortal sin other than your own conscience and your confessor. Sometimes our conscience can be poorly informed or overly scrupulous so it’s best to ask your confessor.

Last edited:
So the thing you should focus on is not if it is mortal sin but rather why you did it if you thought it might be wrong. In the future try to act within your conscience.

Very true, thank you. Though, I guess I worded my question wrong as I was more wondering if such thing would be of grave matter or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back