We complain about our bishops, but do we pray for them?

• Thread starter Thread starter Philip
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Philip

Folks,

It was an old custom for Catholics to pray regularly for the health, wisdom, and intentions of the local ordinary (Bishop) of their Diocese, whether in their home Diocese or the one they are physically in at that moment. Some friends of mine always pray an extra our father at the end of each Rosary that they say for the intentions of the local ordinary.

I’m sure that prayers for our Bishops have dropped off considerably, if not practically stopped today. If you believe in the power of prayer – which I do – and you realize that Bishops are often specially targeted for temptation by the evil one … then should we not take some responsibility for the sad performances of some of our shepherds??

I am as dissapointed with some of the moves that the US Bishops have made in recent days as the next person (probably moreso). But I can’t help but wonder if part of it is my fault. Their job is to lead, which some of them have not done. My job is to pray for them, which *I *haven’t done.

Thoughts? (… or more importantly, offer a Eucharist or a prayer for your Bishop today!!)

The prayer of holy men, women, and children has ended many evils in the world. Our Lady constantly exhorts us to pray. Do we doubt that that is the path to sanctifying our church leaders?

I am going to make it a custom of saying an Our Father each time I think of my Bishop, even if it is to complain about him.

Philip

We pray for our bishops at every Mass. Moreover, a number of us in this diocese are members of the Cure d’Ars Prayer group, committed to praying for our bishop and particular priests daily. Several of us have taken up praying three Hail, Mary’s daily for our bishop and for his successor, who will be appointed in the next year or so (as Bishop Gossman is about to retire)

Why do you think prayers for bishops have dried up?

Daily at Mass and in Adoration. Also you might join an Apotolate of Prayer Group as Laura mentioned.

Apostolate for Priests

One of my favorite Prayers:

A Prayer for Priests

Lord Jesus, you have chosen your priests from among us and sent them out to proclaim your word and to act in your name. For so great a gift to your Church, we give you praise and thanksgiving. We ask you to fill them with the fire of your love, that their ministry may reveal your presence in the Church. Since they are earthen vessels, we pray that your power shine out throught their weakness. In their afflictions let them never be crushed; in their doubts never despair; in temptation never be destroyed; in persecution never abandoned. Inspire them through prayer to live each day the mystery of your dying and rising. In times of weakness send them your SPirit, and help them to praise your heavenly Father and pray for poor sinners. By the same Holy Spirit put your words on their lips and your love in their hearts, to bring good news to the poor and healing to the brokenhearted. And may the gift of Mary your mother, to the disciple whom you loved, be your gift to every priest. Grant that she who formed you in her human image, may form them in your divinee image, by the power of your Spirit, to the glory of God the Father. Amen.
A Prayer for Vocations to the Priesthood
Lord Jesus, you invite us to pray the Lord of the harvest that He send labourers into His harvest.

Lord and God of all, call to the priesthood men on fire with your divine love, who will be the voice of the Good Shepherd to the scattered sheep of the flock.

R. Lord of the harvest, send labourers into your harvest.

Lord and Saviour, bless us with holy priests. Through their ministry may your life-giving presence in the sacraments be always present in your Church.

Lord and Giver of Life, raise up men filled with your power and with great missionary zeal, so that all who dwell in darkness may come to live in the light of Christ.

(Pause for silent personal prayer.)

O Mary conceived without sin,
pray for us who have recourse to you.

I pray for them all the time.

Every mass in the diocese includes prayers for the Holy Father and the local bishop.

:gopray2: May God bless all of our bishops will a full understanding of the truth, the zeal to preach the gospel, the courage to stand against those against the church and its teachings, and an endless love for the people entrusted to them. :gopray2:

Good call
This thread made me sit up and think, and certainly chastised me. I am quick to moan about the Bishops but slow to give support in my prayers.
Excellent thread well done
Thanks 👍

An excellent suggestion. We need to pray for them **especially **now, given the current atmosphere in this country. I try to remember my own bishop here because I was once told me something rather scandalous about him - while I’m inclined to believe that it was an unfounded rumor, considering that the person who told me claimed to have used the information to blackmail the bishop & definitely had a very bad agenda in mind, I still try to say a special prayer just because he is the focus of such venom. All of our American bishops & priests must feel despised, and those of us that are loyal need to support them in any way we can.

Certainly we should. I certainly should not want to be a bishop–particularly if I had as vociferous a flock as the ones who post on this forum! (That’s a joke, ha! ha!). Seriously, we do pray for them in the Canon of the Mass (our own bishop, at least). They need our prayers as much as anybody else. Good thread! We need to be reminded.

Great Idea now if we can get everyone to include them in their own daily prayers also. It is a great reminder for me and I am glad you posted this.🙂

We should not only PRAY for our Bishops but we should be RESPECTFUL and OBEDIENT toward them in all things but sin, particularly, the Local Bishop, concerning decisions he has to make on alleged PRIVATE REVELATIONS in his diocese, whether the faithful agrees with his decision or not.

Yes we should all pray for our bishops. That they may receive the grace, wisdom, and courage to carry out the mission of the Church - in this age of dissention, it’s a tough task indeed!

We pray for a bishop at every Mass, because our diocese hasn’t had one since they moved Bishop Thomas Olmsted away several months ago.😦

Alan

I pray for all bishops every day and especially for my Archbishop, Sean Patrick O’Malley who is in great need of prayer in the Archdiocese of Boston.

Many churches are closing here and people are protesting…sit -ins court action… And, there is talk on the News of more priest abuse scandal… He has an awesome task and needs lots of prayers…:gopray:

Praying for the bishop of Rome is a requirement for indulgences to be granted.

They said in their heart, the whole kindred of them together: Let us abolish all the festival days of God from the land. Ps 73:8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back