We must not make our opinions divine laws!

• Thread starter Thread starter brown_bear
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

brown_bear

Do we want to fast 150 days a year?
If the spiritual director allows it, let’s do it.
But it doesn’t happen to us to say that God wants this for everyone.

Do we want to vote for John Doe? (great movie!) 🙂
All right, but let’s not say God wants us to vote for him.

There is only one rule: what the Catholic Church officially says. Such an apparition, such a saint, does not oblige anyone: unless they repeat what the Church says.

When I see young and inexperienced people under the influence of those who make unobjectionable what is freely questionable, I tend to lose my proverbial understatement 😉

John Doe from the band X is running for president? This changes everything !

Okay, back to the serious political and moral discussions 😁.

Agreed. There’s a lot of turning “this is my personal preference or practice” into “this is the right way and if you do something different you’re a bad Catholic.”

The lines I’m not a fan of hearing is, “I doesn’t impact me” or “How does that affect me”? Some, or should I dare to say MOST, Catholics really don’t understand they are placing their Will ahead of God’s Will.

Do we want to fast 150 days a year?
If the spiritual director allows it, let’s do it.
But it doesn’t happen to us to say that God wants this for everyone.

Do we want to vote for John Doe? (great movie!) 🙂
All right, but let’s not say God wants us to vote for him.

There is only one rule: what the Catholic Church officially says. Such an apparition, such a saint, does not oblige anyone: unless they repeat what the Church says.

When I see young and inexperienced people under the influence of those who make unobjectionable what is freely questionable, I tend to lose my proverbial understatement 😉
Oh man, isn’t this the truth! I wish I could like your post a trillion times.

I agree. This is why the Church is a big tent. Many opinions are allowed in a wide range of topics.

IDK about John Doe for President, I’m more of a Billy Zoom fan. 😉

But getting back on topic, there are a lot of Catholics who have difficulty with what the Church actually says, especially when it allows people options to do or not do some practice, or to believe or not believe in some apparition, or to otherwise use their own judgment. A lot of people are uncomfortable with a faith that isn’t entirely one big black letter rule book saying “Do this and don’t do that.”

Here the situation is dramatic … everyone has the complete set of God’s will on everything.

Not everyone, of course, but very many.

And you can’t convince them in any way: if you talk about freedom in questionable issues in very general terms, maybe they say yes ; but as soon as you make it concrete, the world collapses.

Neither the Gospel, nor the doctrine of the Church, nor logic help.

You can try the proof for absurdity: you can tell those who support a party with 0.6% of the vote (the example is real), and are convinced that it is the party of Truth, that are condemning 99.4% of the population to hell, and so you hope to shake them with a paradox.

Not at all, nothing to do: 99.4%? Ok, it could be.

But not just about politics, about many things.

Here, for example, the debate on Medjugorje is on.
Do you believe? You are a stupid bigot, a gullible.
Do not you believe it? You are a devil, and demons flee from the light.

Sometimes I asked my friends: «But when the Church will give a definitive opinion on Medjugorje, if you don’t like it, will you make a schism? Any case, doesn’t it seem like a blasphemy to insult each other in the name of Mary? "

In the morning I tend to linger a little. Sorry! 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back