Judas, poor soul, was exhibiting the ‘Devil’s ability to quote scripture’. Judas was making ‘care for the poor’ (and John I believe makes the further point that Judas did not want money for the poor but, since Judas ‘held the purse’, wanted to embezzle the funds for himself) somehow ‘a greater good’ than honor to Almighty God.
Yes, one way to honor God is to give alms and to care for the poor.
But too many people today are C.S. Lewis’ ‘Christians-and’. The “Christianity” comes in second place to whatever
aspect of Christianity is seen as ‘most important’. The “social justice” Christians, for example, are “social justice” first, “Christian” second (if that high). You can pretty much tell the “Christians -and” not by their lip service or their ‘nominal’ membership in a church or denomination, but on their actions. The Christians who are always writing letters or making speeches about “the status of the poor”, especially those poor in ‘other lands’, yet who barely acknowledge God in any aspect of their lives (such as never having personal prayer to him on any other but their prefered subject matter; never following any prescribed practices unless it is considered germane to their preferred focus; never seem to recognize God in anybody unless they are lock-stepping to the ‘correct’ words and actions for the ‘most important part of Christianity’). . .are not truly exercising Christianity. They could be anything from Druids to Muslims to pagans and still practice ‘social justice’ exactly as they do as “Christians for social justice” so the Christianity portion is decidedly ‘non essential.’
P.S. I am not picking on anyone, Christian or nonChristian, who believes in ‘social justice’. I believe in it myself. I try to practice it and I believe it is important. And I also believe that this ‘transcends’ things like political persuasion. The term ‘social justice’ might appear politically liberal but it is not really, and many aspects in life which might appear politically conservative are equally matters which would fall under ‘social justice’ umbrella as I see it, and comment on it, above. So please don’t think I’m singling out a particular subset or political entity. I’m not!
