Wearing the brown scapular a question

• Thread starter Thread starter Santa_Cruz
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Santa_Cruz

Does wearing the brown scapular continuous mean I have to wear it in the shower?

Santa Cruz:
Does wearing the brown scapular continuous mean I have to wear it in the shower?
Sources differ in answering that question.

You can if you want to…however, it is not required…I do not wear by in the shower…I am sure our Blessed Mother will grant us a reprieve if something were to tragically happen to us while showering 🙂 One thing I have learned about the Brown Scapular is that it is more important that you live the proper life that you should live as a person who wears the Brown Scapular…it doesn’t have to be on you every single second of the day…however, when it is not on you, you should still live and act accordingly…I take mine off to shower and to play sports…other than that, it stays on me.
Santa Cruz:

Why wouldn’t you want to? After having been worn for who knows how long, they get in dire need of a wash themselves. The shower is a great way to keep both of you clean.

In otherwords, I still wear mine in the shower/swimming/etc. It is a sign of my servitude to Christ through his mother. Wearing it under my shirt, I like being able to actually see it from time to time when I"m in the shower.

Josh

I agree with threej_lc; unwashed scapulars can start to stink. Bathing with mine, I keep it nice and Old Spicy.

It is not necessary to wear your scapular in the shower. The scapular is a sign of your commitment to Christ under the mantle of Mary’s special protection, but it is not what makes you one of her children–it is your pledge to God that does that. If you should happen to die without it after wearing it faithfully for years, God isn’t going to consign you to hell, you know. 😉

You can wear it in the shower if you like, but I take mine off and wash it separately, and have others to wear so I can rotate them. Remember, you are who was truly blessed not the scapular itself.

If you want to have a sign of your devotion for Our Lady of Mount Carmel in the swimming pool or shower, get a scapular medal. It can be worn along with the cloth scapular or in place of it because both are valid sacramentals denoting devotion for Jesus through Our Lady.

Btw, I am a Lay Carmelite of the Ancient Observance and the formation director of my Lay Carmelite community so my information comes directly from the Carmelite Order, which has the authority under the pope as to how, when, where, and why we may wear the scapular and the scapular medal. Just so you know I speak with some knowledge and authority. 🙂

40.png
Della:
It is not necessary to wear your scapular in the shower. The scapular is a sign of your commitment to Christ under the mantle of Mary’s special protection, but it is not what makes you one of her children–it is your pledge to God that does that. If you should happen to die without it after wearing it faithfully for years, God isn’t going to consign you to hell, you know. 😉

You can wear it in the shower if you like, but I take mine off and wash it separately, and have others to wear so I can rotate them. Remember, you are who was truly blessed not the scapular itself.

If you want to have a sign of your devotion for Our Lady of Mount Carmel in the swimming pool or shower, get a scapular medal. It can be worn along with the cloth scapular or in place of it because both are valid sacramentals denoting devotion for Jesus through Our Lady.

Btw, I am a Lay Carmelite of the Ancient Observance and the formation director of my Lay Carmelite community so my information comes directly from the Carmelite Order, which has the authority under the pope as to how, when, where, and why we may wear the scapular and the scapular medal. Just so you know I speak with some knowledge and authority. 🙂
Dear friend

If it is necessary to back up Della’s statement then I will do that, I too am a Carmelite and you need not wear your Brown Scapular constantly, you need not bathe in it or swim, play sports or other activities you choose not to wear it. The Scapular does not carry the blessing, it is yourself who carries the blessing and the Scapular is an outward sign of your inward devotion.

The Scapular is not a magical item that will guarantee your salvation but rather an outward reminder of your pledge and that of our Blessed Mother’s, to wear it as an outward symbol of your devotion and piety, your intention and consecration to our Lady of Mount Carmel. It is a small habit, you do not always have to wear this tiny habit to be faithful to it, however it must always be treated with the reverance that a sacramental warrants.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

40.png
springbreeze:
Dear friend

If it is necessary to back up Della’s statement then I will do that, I too am a Carmelite and you need not wear your Brown Scapular constantly, you need not bathe in it or swim, play sports or other activities you choose not to wear it. The Scapular does not carry the blessing, it is yourself who carries the blessing and the Scapular is an outward sign of your inward devotion.

The Scapular is not a magical item that will guarantee your salvation but rather an outward reminder of your pledge and that of our Blessed Mother’s, to wear it as an outward symbol of your devotion and piety, your intention and consecration to our Lady of Mount Carmel. It is a small habit, you do not always have to wear this tiny habit to be faithful to it, however it must always be treated with the reverance that a sacramental warrants.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa
Thanks for the information. It has been one of those questions that keep’s comming up in my head and I wanted to get to the truth of the matter. Thank you to all that replied to my question :tiphat:

Santa Cruz:
Thanks for the information. It has been one of those questions that keep’s comming up in my head and I wanted to get to the truth of the matter. Thank you to all that replied to my question :tiphat:
Dear Jacinta

I just wanted to say to you that I love your signature at the bottom of your post, truly this is the spirit of Christ Jesus, to suffer and endure for the will of the Father. How happy you must be, how blessed you are to find this treasure in the field and buy the whole field to preserve this part of it.

God Bless you always!

Much love and peace to you

Teresa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back