Well I lost...

• Thread starter Thread starter SHJ-BVM
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SHJ-BVM

I finally received the decision from DMV about my vanity plates. Although I would like to appeal the decision in Superior Court, the cost for filing is $225.00. This is just not feasable for hubby and me. Soooo, I will re-apply for new plates with SHJ IHM. On the application I will be ‘deceptively honest’ and tell them they are the initials of my Father and Mother.

Oh how I would love to have fought them in court though. Dang it all!!!http://www.aimoo.com/forum/images/messageicon/angry.gif

Thank you to everyone who has supported me throughout this whole fight.

Peace and Godspeed

I don’t know about this but…what did your plates stand for? and why couldn’t you have them?

Since she’s not currently on, permit me to answer. The intials stood for Sacred Heart of Jesus and Immaculate Heart of Mary. They denied her request because of the religious content :whacky: (I believe most states require you to give an explanation regarding what the personalization means). Unbelievable, huh?

mtr,

Thank you for answering.

Sarcophagus,

I originally applied for SHJ BVM. Since I was truthful in what they stood for, I was denied on the grounds that it was religious. I appealed the decision, and was still denied. So now I will apply for SHJ IHM. Even though I will not be ‘lying’ in what they stand for (see first post), I will still go to confession, as I WILL be deceiving DMV, for all intents and purposes. But what’s one to do? Obviously complete honesty did not pay here.

40.png
mtr01:
Since she’s not currently on, permit me to answer. The intials stood for Sacred Heart of Jesus and Immaculate Heart of Mary. They denied her request because of the religious content :whacky: (I believe most states require you to give an explanation regarding what the personalization means). Unbelievable, huh?
Actually, that would be what her new request might be, if it were not actually her parents’ initials. 😉

I can see how the state is protecting its interests here; no doubt that license plate would have caused lots of road rage and thrown otherwise stable people into fits of psychosis. :rolleyes:

For “the rest of the story” see:
forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=15209
and
forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=16855
and

oh, I see she has answered this herself.

Alan

Patricia,

Just a thought. Since most of these DMV systems are computerized, you might think about applying for IHM SHJ just to minimize some kind of 'red flag" possibility.

Good luck.

Kristine,

I thought about that too:) . That will probably be my first selection with SHJ IHM as my second choice.

hmmm…that sounds incredibly unfair…I don’t know about peronalized plates here (canada) but I think you definetly should be able to have that.

I could understand if you plates just said “JESUS” but since it is a bunch of letters and I obviosuly didn’t understand them when i read them, then I don’t see how they can deny it…oh well. I guess that’s secularism.

Hmm, so the established state religion of secularism is duly enforced.

40.png
sarcophagus:
hmmm…that sounds incredibly unfair…I don’t know about peronalized plates here (canada) but I think you definetly should be able to have that.

I could understand if you plates just said “JESUS” but since it is a bunch of letters and I obviosuly didn’t understand them when i read them, then I don’t see how they can deny it…oh well. I guess that’s secularism.
It is within the authority of the State to regulate vanity plates within reason.

Before we start claiming “foul” we might consider where this might go without such regulation: "Devil; “Satan”; “Wicca”, “Witch”, all of which could come in without any regulation.

40.png
SHJ-BVM:
mtr,

Thank you for answering.

Sarcophagus,

I originally applied for SHJ BVM. Since I was truthful in what they stood for, I was denied on the grounds that it was religious. I appealed the decision, and was still denied. So now I will apply for SHJ IHM. Even though I will not be ‘lying’ in what they stand for (see first post), I will still go to confession, as I WILL be deceiving DMV, for all intents and purposes. But what’s one to do? Obviously complete honesty did not pay here.
The first amendment clearly states that you have a Constitutional right to freely express your religion. They have no right to deny you this.

Just tell them these are the initials of you Brother and Mother how now reside in Heaven!

It is within the authority of the State to regulate vanity plates within reason.
Before we start claiming “foul” we might consider where this might go without such regulation: "Devil; “Satan”; “Wicca”, “Witch”, all of which could come in without any regulation.
And i see nothing wrong with that either…if that is what the plate holder truly belives. It is unfair to say that you should be able to have “jesus” on your plates and not “wicca”.

I didn’t mean for my post to sound like i was in favour of that. I apologize.

So much for freedom of speech and religion. :rolleyes: If it’s because of the fact that someone might get “offended” at the religiousness of the plate, that is ridiculous. The same with the word God in the Pledge of Allegience and the 10 Commandments in front of a courthouse. Those things aren’t hurting anyone. They need to learn to grow up and deal with it. These days, people get “offended” by everything. I could say “chair” and I’m sure that some person would find some problem with it.
40.png
otm:
What would be so wrong with a plate saying Wicca or Witch? It’s not hurting anyone. If it was OK for Christians to have “religious” plates, why not any other religion (although witchcraft is a practice, not a religion). For that matter,“Devil” and “Satan” aren’t really hurting anyone either. If someone chooses to be offended by them, it’s their own fault and insecurity in themselves and their faith.

Ryan,

S(acred) H(eart) of J(esus)…B(lessed) V(irgin) M(ary)…

The new plates I request will be IHM SHJ…the IHM is I(mmaculate) H(eart) of M(ary)…but I will not disclose that to DMV…

40.png
SHJ-BVM:
Ryan,

S(acred) H(eart) of J(esus)…B(lessed) V(irgin) M(ary)…

The new plates I request will be IHM SHJ…the IHM is I(mmaculate) H(eart) of M(ary)…but I will not disclose that to DMV…
I would just tell them what RichT said.
Just tell them these are the initials of you Brother and Mother how now reside in Heaven!

Geez, even California allowed my GN 1 28 with the knowledge it stood for Genesis 1:28 You’d think if anyone would deny it, it would be here!

I have never heard of such problems in Illinois (not that there aren’t, but from what I’ve seen in the road…).

I would never have guessed that this could be an issue.

In the end, we have to leave it up to the good sense of the bureaucrats at the DMV, which admittedly may sometimes be in short supply. I don’t mind if someone wants to put “Wiccan” on their plate, but without some boundaries, we might find public obscenities on various bumpers. In your case, even if they prohibit religious sentiments, the initials would be meaningless to most people, so why ban them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back