It was…interesting. Perhaps it was the time I chose to go (11 instead of 9), but there were so many distracting people! I tried so hard to listen to the prayers and the sermon but it was so hard I can’t even remember what it was about! The people beside and in front of me kept talking to each other, even during prayer. At one point, the girl in front asked the girl behind her if she was enjoying the view (while shaking her skintight jean clad butt!) this is not what I expected!!! I kept shuffling down the pew the whole time to try to hear! It’s not always like this is it?
First, congratulations on attending your first Mass. People can be distracting, but there are ways to tune them out.
What I do is arrive early, I like to show up a half hour early so that I have time to pray. Praying centers me, and readies me to hear the word of the Lord and to receive the Eucharist. It also has a tendency to help me tune out the people.
Additionally, I tend to sit up front. The less people in front of you, the less distraction, generally. And I also have trouble hearing, so sitting up front makes it easier for me to be able to hear.
Your Parish may offer Mass at different times- consider checking them out. I’ve attended our Parish’s Vigil Mass (Sat. Night) and the Sunday morning Mass but there is also a Sunday evening Mass at my Parish and I was told today that that one is very quiet. So perhaps try another Mass and see what you think of that.
And you may already know this, but there should be a Missal at each Pew and the Missal can guide you through the entire liturgy so you know what to say, what the readings are, etc. The order of the Mass is generally in the very front (along with some of the things you’ll want to follow along with, such as the Gloria and the Creed), and then find the day of the Mass further on in the Missal and the readings of the day will be there. It helps a lot of following along. If you knew that, great. I just remember when I was starting out I had no idea what a Missal was.