What’s the big deal?

  • Thread starter Thread starter AngelusDomini
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AngelusDomini

Guest
I’ve no doubt this post will get closed or pulled but I’m genuinely interested as to why on any given day there are several threads about ‘Pride’ or a bishop denying communion to someone kneeling, or ‘should I attend the baptism of a child of adulterous parents?’ type threads. I hardly ever see threads speaking about sweatshops, sex trafficking, building trust again after the abuse scandals, how we can engage with the problem of poverty, or even how do we encourage people to take on roles such as lectors (more likely to see a thread on ‘A lector changed a word - is this heresy?’).

Is it a US thing or just me?
 
(more likely to see a thread on ‘A lector changed a word - is this heresy?’).
I can imagine this being an actual topic on this forum. It probably has been an actual topic.

I guess because of the anonymity that goes along with online forums, people are likely to discuss personal topics, compared to what they talk about during coffee, juice, and rolls. Also, we are more likely to be critical and point out errors or miscues on a forum instead of with our fellow parishioners, in my opinion.

We are also good at discussing the finer points of our faith ad nauseam.

I doubt it’s just a US thing.
 
I think the number of threads on some of those subjects you mention is overstated, but perhaps I just gloss over them. However, you do have a valid point about lack of good threads on issues related to the social doctrine of the church. When there is one, people tend to want to pretend the Church doesn’t teach what it explicitly teaches. Yes, it is a US thing IMO. But then again, there are places in the US where I believe the Church is more vi rant than most other places in the world. So I suppose we accept the good with the bad.
 
I’ve no doubt this post will get closed or pulled but I’m genuinely interested as to why on any given day there are several threads about ‘Pride’ or a bishop denying communion to someone kneeling, or ‘should I attend the baptism of a child of adulterous parents?’ type threads. I hardly ever see threads speaking about sweatshops, sex trafficking, building trust again after the abuse scandals, how we can engage with the problem of poverty, or even how do we encourage people to take on roles such as lectors (more likely to see a thread on ‘A lector changed a word - is this heresy?’).

Is it a US thing or just me?
Well, it’s a forum.

There are several ways to use a forum:
  • It is possible to argue about something with someone.
  • It is possible to ask a question, if the asker does not know the answer, but expects that some other user knows it.
  • It is possible to inform others of something they do not know, but are likely to be interested in.
Most of the subjects you want do not seem to fit any of those options. For example, do you think you will get someone to argue that sweatshops are highly desirable? Or do you think that a priest who wants more lectors will benefit more from a thread here than from asking people he actually knows - and who are likely to know some potential candidates?
 
I hardly ever see threads speaking about sweatshops, sex trafficking, building trust again after the abuse scandals, how we can engage with the problem of poverty, or even how do we encourage people to take on roles such as lectors
You would be the best person to start those threads.
 
Most likely it is because certain people tend to make certain threads about certain topics over and over again. As for the scrupulously if you type in is (insert here) a sin, the forums will likely pop up at some point.
 
Last edited:
I hardly ever see threads speaking about sweatshops, sex trafficking, building trust again after the abuse scandals, how we can engage with the problem of poverty, or even how do we encourage people to take on roles such as lectors
I feel like we do have threads on these things, but my perception could be off.

If there is a lack of them I suspect this is why. People are discouraged about opening a thread on these serious topics knowing that some people will show up, misbehave and it will get shut down. These worthy subjects of conversation will be only political to people whose views unfortunately are only political. Tragic threadmess follows.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top