What a dog can teach us about our relationship with God

• Thread starter Thread starter workinprogress
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

workinprogress

Yesterday, I was walking my sister’s dog while she was out of town. He started after a neighbor’s cat. I shouted at him, but he wouldn’t come back until after several shouts (I walk him frequently because my sister lives at my parents’ house). Finally, he obeyed. Of course, next time, he did the same thing. I was irritated until I realize I do that to God all too often…God doesn’t always start by shouting but sometimes His allowing us to suffer by our own actions or omissions is loud enough.

I’m thinking that no matter how busy I am and how much I ignore my dog, he’s always there with his little wagging tail waiting for whatever attention I give him and he’s so happy to see me. He accepts me just as I am and never says, “Hey, you’ve ignored me for days and NOW you expect me to pay attention to YOU?” Nope. He’s always there… waiting for me, wanting to love me. Just like God. 🙂

Dogs are cheerful, happy creatures. They are very humble. And the more time they spend in your presence, the better behaved and happier they become.

I have two dogs. They are both a year old. We just returned from a walk in the woods. One is Kipper, a border collie/ austrailian shepherd mix. The other is Spirit, a chocolate lab. They are good dogs. 🙂

I like dogs the best too. They’re great companions.
Code:
  Dogs do accept you for who you are and not some accidental.  I saw an E.R. episode where the red headed lesbian woman's mother finds her.  She can't bear to hear something that says she is living wrong, can't stand Christianity and shuts her mom out because she won't accept her as a lesbian even though her mother does love her regardless.  Talk about intellectual blindness founded in a sinful lifestyle.  Even the most liberal priest or denomination would have to see the shutting out of her life of her mom for not accepting her lifestyle as unnecessary if her mom still wants her because of who she is wholistically.
Of course, as I write this I realize I can be distancing when my parents bother me about getting a better job. Still, they love me regardless. Not everyone gets that from parents who expect something of them. We should be so lucky–but I don’t think it hurts to “escape” geographically if it’s driving you to be nasty as long as it’s not to hurt your insistant loved ones or you aren’t a dependent. Don’t do it to your dog, for sure, if it acts up to get your attention and fun (laughing).

A dog tries to please his master. He avoids doing things his master doesn’t want him to do.

A dog doesn’t complain and eats what is put in front of him, even when his given the same dull food every day.

A dog is persistent. A dog keeps asking for what he wants until he gets it or until he knows for sure the answer is “no”.

A dog is hospitable to guests. A dog welcomes and entertains house guests, both people and dogs.

A dog is a good student and teacher. He learns from other dogs, and teaches things to other dogs.

A dog is creative. He can always think up a new game to play.

A dog is interested in, and enjoys the world around him.

A dog is thankful. When his master does something for him, a dog shows his appreciation.

A dog takes very good care of his favorite possession.

A dog will share his most prized possession. And at the same time leave other people’s possessions alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back