What a Priest Said When He Was Asked That a Woman Wants to Date Me, But She Is Divorced. What Are Your Thoughts?

• Thread starter Thread starter mdgspencer
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mdgspencer

A woman wants to date me. She divorced her husband years ago when he had an extramarital affair but then remarried him last year to get his pension when he dies. His pension is apparently substantial. He lives in NH and she lives in NJ. I feel like it would be a mortal sin to date her, your thoughts please.

FATHER JOE:
The Church does not recognize divorce and so unless there are other impediments she is a married woman. The fact that she civilly remarried him just to get his pension is dishonest and an act that impugns the dignity of marriage. It would certainly be a matter of mortal sin to date her. Keep your distance.

This is from the website: Ask a Priest | Blogger Priest

Last edited:
I agree with the priest. She needs an annulment before you can date her.

Last edited:
It doesn’t even sound like the woman is divorced. It said she divorced her husband and then remarried him to get his pension when he dies. So basically she’s married not just in the eyes of the Church, but civilly.

Why would anyone even ask a priest a question about whether this is a sin? He can’t even suggest that the woman look into an annulment since she’s married and has no plans to get unmarried.

The mind boggles.

Poor Father Joe, for every reasonable question he gets there are two of these type of question.

Hello father, my husband and I are looking to move to a new area. We have visited the area many times and love everything about it, the only issue is the zip code. The zip code consists of 3 – 6’s in a row…. I was wondering if that is a no-no. It made me uncomfortable for obvious reasons and wanted to get a priests opinion on this.

Father Joe: Worries about such numbers is mere superstition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back