What are the advantages of a study Bible?

  • Thread starter Thread starter lefty22
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lefty22

Guest
Hey all,

I currently have the NKJ version of the Bible, but I’d like to get another. Right now I’m looking at the New American Standard. I’m 16, very interested in how the events of the Bible fit in with the rest of history and I’m eager to learn everything I can. My question is, what are the advantages of a study Bible? Would it give extra information that is helpful?

Thank you in advance.

~Lefty22
 
Well, a study bible is a broad term for a bible that includes extra stuff.

Most have a combination of commentary on the verses, reference to other verses, historical sidebars and all sorts of other things.

You do get extra info, some of it is helpful some is not. Some will jive with Catholic Faith, some will not. If you get a Catholic study bible that’s probably the best way to go.
 
Hey all,

I currently have the NKJ version of the Bible, but I’d like to get another. Right now I’m looking at the New American Standard. I’m 16, very interested in how the events of the Bible fit in with the rest of history and I’m eager to learn everything I can. My question is, what are the advantages of a study Bible? Would it give extra information that is helpful?

Thank you in advance.

~Lefty22
If I were you I’d start by getting a Catholic Bible that includes the deutero-canonical books in them. You don’t even get the entire Bible with the NKJV or the NASV! I’d suggest either the New American Bible or the Revised Standard Version - Catholic Edition.

Typically, study Bibles contain cross-references, foot-notes, maps, charts, introductions, and many other things which have the potential to unlock many of the deeper teachings that the Bible has to offer. There are many good ones out there, I own something like 2 and a half? I have the ESV study Bible. It is Protestant and specifically Evangelical but it’s actually pretty orthodox. I got it because it’s one of the most comprehensive study Bibles I’ve ever encountered, plus I love the ESV translation. While this is a good study Bible, I would not suggest it to you because it contains more information than you want or need at this developing stage and because it is Evangelical.

I also have an “Ecumenical” study Bible, the New Oxford Annotated Bible, Augmented Third College Edition; to be honest I rather dislike this study Bible for many reasons (too many to get into here). The reason I got it was because it is the required edition for the theology courses in my school.

I also have the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible by Scott Hahn and Curtis Mitch. It’s only the New Testament, but it’s still pretty good. I’ve read many reviews of it saying that it is an apologetics study Bibles and I largely agree with it, but the footnotes contain much more information concerning morals and helping to understand Church teachings, etc.

Unfortunately I have yet to come across one that I think would be extremely beneficial to the lay faithful. Essentially, I’d like a Catholic version of the ESV study Bible. Something that is as comprehensive and exhaustive, but Catholic. But no one said we live in a perfect world!

Before any of this though I would suggest that you get a regular Catholic Bible to read from, then worry about study Bibles!
 
Hey all,

I currently have the NKJ version of the Bible, but I’d like to get another. Right now I’m looking at the New American Standard. I’m 16, very interested in how the events of the Bible fit in with the rest of history and I’m eager to learn everything I can. My question is, what are the advantages of a study Bible? Would it give extra information that is helpful?

Thank you in advance.

~Lefty22
study Bibles are a big help especially a Catholic one. But even better is the Haydock Bible Commentary. So much more than a study Bible, but it is pricey at 125 dollars
 
study Bibles are a big help especially a Catholic one. But even better is the Haydock Bible Commentary. So much more than a study Bible, but it is pricey at 125 dollars
But that’s specific to the Douay Rheims, is it not? That’s not something I would suggest to a beginner.

I have the Ignatius RSV-2CE NT study bible and the NAB study bible. I would strongly suggest the RSV-2CE NT study bible for a beginner. The NAB is more lit-crit and not appropriate for a beginner.

I believe it’s on sale in a soft-cover right now at less than $20 directly from Ignatius Press. I’m buying one for a friend for Christmas. It’s also at Amazon:

amazon.com/Ignatius-Catholic-Study-Bible-Testament/dp/1586172506

A study bible is worth its weight in gold!
 
But that’s specific to the Douay Rheims, is it not? That’s not something I would suggest to a beginner.

I have the Ignatius RSV-2CE NT study bible and the NAB study bible. I would strongly suggest the RSV-2CE NT study bible for a beginner. The NAB is more lit-crit and not appropriate for a beginner.

I believe it’s on sale in a soft-cover right now at less than $20 directly from Ignatius Press. I’m buying one for a friend for Christmas. It’s also at Amazon:

amazon.com/Ignatius-Catholic-Study-Bible-Testament/dp/1586172506

A study bible is worth its weight in gold!
True the Haydock is specific to the Douay. Maybe its just me, but I don’t really care for anything else.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top