What are the major turning pojnts in your life?

• Thread starter Thread starter Pilgrim525
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pilgrim525

He said to him, “Follow Me.” And he got up and followed him. (Mt 9:9)

I have always been a religious person even as a child. We (7 siblings) have all been brought up that way by a very prayerful and religious mother. Our parents struggled to make a living so they could send us to Catholic Colleges and thus avail of the catholic education. I had also been an active member of the Sodality of Our Lady since grade 5 and on to college at a Jesuit University. That was my orientation.

But somewhere along the way, from mid 70’s to 1987, I started living the life of the prodigal daughter, unmindful of what my Father in heaven would have thought of me. I happened to turn into a wrong bend on the road and I lost my way amidst the vain attractions of this worldly life. I began to look up to the Lord as one who only provided for all our needs. Oh yes, my consultations with Him continued but whatever personal relationship I had with Him (which I nurtured in college), it was obviously a one-sided affair. He was doing all the giving and I, the taking. I never gave a thought of serving and pleasing Him. I had been completely selfish, arrogant and insensitive to His needs most especially His need to be loved in return. I had indeed become an ungrateful wretch! Now I shudder at the thought that if He had taken me during those times, I would have merited damnation in hell.

But the Lord is kind and merciful. Most of all, He is a very loving Father. All throughout, He had patiently waited for me to come to my right senses. He had allowed me to have my own spoiled way, squandering all the graces that He had so abundantly given me in the past maybe because He had always known that in the end He could easily tap me on the shoulder and whisper “That’s enough; enough of your selfish ways. Come follow Me” and He knew I would obediently follow.

In March, 1987, the Lord decided to tap me on the shoulder via an ailment that made it necessary for me to undergo surgery. I was diagnosed to be suffering from intestinal obstruction. Within 48 hours after I was operated on, I needed to undergo a second surgery. I took the doctor’s decision very calmly. As was customary of me, I surrendered everything into His hands and I was completely resigned to His will. Of course I didn’t know the extent of my condition at that time. I did not know that the 2nd operation was going to be very crucial. I did not know I was given a 50-50 chance to live.

That operation was the second major turning point in my life. While recuperating in the hospital, the 700 Club program would always be on TV. One time I saw this guy giving personal testimony about his life in Jesus and something just touched the very core of my soul. I requested for the hospital chaplain and went to confession after years of not going to the Sacrament.

I stayed in the hospital for 14 days (it was Lenten Season and I associated it with the 14 Stations of the Cross), after which I still had to undergo anti-biotic injections for 10 days. The 10th day fell on April 19, 1987, Easter Sunday. **Easter '87 ** was indeed very providential! It beckoned a new life for me; a rebirth; an awakening!

At the time of my operation, my husband had just been elected Charter President of the Kiwanis Club in our village and that initiated us to community service. This eventually introduced me to Parish Ministries. In May, 1988 I attended a Life in the Spirit Seminar of the Charismatic Renewal Movement which was another major turning point in my life because it started me towards the call of discipleship. Eventually I joined the Third Order Carmelites in 1991 and this is where I am right now. I am so grateful to Jesus for giving me the chance to serve Him in this life.

What are the major turning pojnts in your own life? Please share.

God bless,
Nimfa

That’s a beautiful story! I, too, have always considered myself to be religious. I’ve always believed in God, enjoyed going to church. I had a very minor rebellion/time of questioning in high school, but nothing very significant. I’ve had a couple of major turning points. One of which involved a friend of mine. I’d been going through college, not really sure what to do with my life. Well, I meet this guy. There’s nothing romantic between us, but I just knew that I need to be friends with him. I’m very shy around people I don’t know well, but we got to be great friends. He was studying pottery. The last semester we were at school together, he talked me into taking a pottery class. It literally changed my life. I’ve been a potter ever since; professionally for about 6 years. It’s just who I was meant to be.

The other big turning point happened last August. I’ve always been a healthy person, but I developed a cyst on my liver. I got sent from doctor to doctor over the course of a year. I ended up with a surgeon who specializes in liver surgery. It ended up being the bad kind of cyst–non cancerous now, but the possibility of cancer later, so I had to have a major operation to have it removed. I was in the hospital for almost a week, and had about 8 weeks of recovery at home after that. That experience also changed my life. I have so much empathy now for people who are sick. It’s not that I didn’t care before, I did, but I can relate, I can understand where they’re coming from. I also know that people looking at me can’t tell what I’ve been through (aside from the 10 inch scar on my stomach, but nobody but my husband and I see that). I’ve learned that you can’t tell what’s going on with a person by looking at them; I’ve become much nicer to people. I’ve also become a vegetarian; it’s something I tried before, but couldn’t commit to. I feel very strongly that that’s an integral part of who I am and I realized I’d better get to it!

That’s my story, I look forward to others!

40.png
vegpotter:
That’s my story, I look forward to others!
Thanks for sharing your story. Yes I always love to hear conversion stories. God is really so good …Like you I look forward to hear from the others… 🙂

God bless,
Nimfa

When I was younger I always had a strong belief in God, but it was very warped, and I seemed to believe that rather than an all loving, forgiving God, I was the type of person who could never be forgiven. This may sound strange coming from a sixteen year old, but I had been, as a child, extremely fearful over almost everything. I was usually such a nervous wreck that I would go into near panic attacks over things not at all substantial. My parents used to argue pretty intensely, and I remember having these sorts of attacks whenever I thought they may argue, so I imagine my nervous energy came from that.

In any case, when I was nine, I was molested by someone I considered to be a friend and for a while, I was too terrified of what they would think of me to tell my parents. Instead, I would cry myself to sleep everynight, believing myself to be the most guilty, and thinking, wrongfully, that what “I had done” or rather, what I allowed to happen, was a mortal sin and that I was going to Hell for not Confessing it (I was too ashamed to go to a Priest).This continued until my mother found me sobbing and asked me what was the matter.

I didn’t want to tell her, but I had been caught, and so I ended up telling her the story, partially in any case. She was comforting, but she also went to the Priest and the Deacon to discuss my views with them. Hearing their support meant alot to me, and reassured me that I might be allright afterall. However, I never once thought to blame my molester, and to this day harbor no anger toward him. I suppose that’s because the rest of what had happened, what I never even had the courage to tell my mother, I thought, removed him from guilt.

But looking back on it now, I realize that I wasn’t the source of all the guilt. The support of the Clergymen meant alot to me, but it still wasn’t enough. When I was fourteen, I strayed from the Church in a big way. See, I still felt I was guilty, at least partially, and wanted a way to remove myself of that guilt. Over estimating the gravity of whatever sins I had committed (should I have committed any afterall), I chose a religion that didn’t require the accountability that Catholocism does. I chose Paganism.

I thought I had found my niche. I was, of course, wrong. The new “laws” I adopted didn’t remove me from the pain I was feeling, and it was only by my intense need to justify what I was doing, by my need to discredit my Catholic upbringing, that I was brought back to Christ through the Church, the realization that God is that forgiving. Finally, I am able to begin the process of properly assessing my faith and have been slowly working on my conversion back to the Catholic Faith.

God had been calling to me the entire time, I just had to be willing to forgive myself to the point of hearing Him. It has been through the Church and God’s love and comfort that I am finally able to work through some of my pain, my memories. I find that any time I pray for comfort and guidence, it is always there. I may have left the path of God, but He has never left me.

40.png
Spirit_of_Scots:
God had been calling to me the entire time, I just had to be willing to forgive myself to the point of hearing Him. It has been through the Church and God’s love and comfort that I am finally able to work through some of my pain, my memories. I find that any time I pray for comfort and guidence, it is always there. I may have left the path of God, but He has never left me.
Dear Friend, I believe God is leading you to the right direction. Be not afraid. Just entrust your life into His hands and be at peace. He will never leave you, that’s for sure… God loves you.

God bless,
Nimfa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back