What Are You Thinking?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sister_Helena
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Sister Helena,

Here is a humble question for you:

I pray, you pray, priests pray, the Pope prays, bishops pray, nuns pray, monks pray, everybody prays.
How come the world is farther and farther away from God ?
Thanks and regards
 
Because sin will always be in the world. The spirit of the world will always be opposing the Spirit of God. But Jesus assures us “Do not be afraid, I have overcome the world.” We show our good will and cooperation with God’s plan by our unceasing prayer. Despite the sad state of our world, we should remain people of Hope, because Jesus resurrected from the dead, and the “new heaven and the new earth will replace the old.”
 
Dear Sister Helena,

Excuse me if I have a different view.
You see, I have travelled around the world all my life and you cannot imagine the amount of evil I have seen.
I haven’t seen the abortions and the divorces. I have seen the attacks and persecutions , the hate among people. People trying to destroy other people’s lives. Even Catholics trying to destroy other Catholics.
Sin will always be in the world, you say.
But I dread to imagine what the world could be like if sin grew even just a little bit more.
Yet nearly everybody, be it Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists or other, claims to believe in God.
They all pray and they all outrageously make a mockery of God’s will.
Your answer doesn’t satisfy me but I am not sure what the good answer could be.
My feeling is that prayer is not enough.
Indeed, Jeus said I have overcome the world.
But it cost Him his life.
He overcame the world because He refused to join in it.
He insisted with His message even at the cost of His life.
He exposed the pharisee’s hypocrisy, he kept healing the sick, He knew very well the religious authorities were hating Him for stealing their thunder, but He was determined to carry out His task.
I don’t know 10 people on earth who dare imitate Him.
I know that billions claim to believe in God, but spend most of their time trying to make some money.
 
I am interested to know what some of you out there think of religious life. Do you know something about it? Do you have questions or opinions related to this particular life? are you open to the possibility that God may be calling you to become a Priest, Sister or Brother? Are you willing to share your dreams and hopes for your self and your future?
What are you thinking?🙂
I finished my interview with our diocese’s vocation director. It went well and I had good feedback. The very long part now is the application; so far, I have done my first draft for the autobiography. The interview and the autobiography really help me look back my entire life and see God’s plan in my life – God is love and merciful indeed.

Please pray for me. Thanks Sister Helen.
 
I finished my interview with our diocese’s vocation director. It went well and I had good feedback. The very long part now is the application; so far, I have done my first draft for the autobiography. The interview and the autobiography really help me look back my entire life and see God’s plan in my life – God is love and merciful indeed.

Please pray for me. Thanks Sister Helen.
It’s interesting that they now ask for autobiography when you’re applying. I think that’s a good idea. Good luck! You’ll be in my prayers.
 
My wife is terminally ill and I thought if she passes away and my daughter goes off to college in another 5 years I would be interested in becoming a priest, at 56 years old would I be too old to be accepted? I do not want my wife to die its not like I would be running away emotionally and I thought for sometime before I met her about being a priest or a deacon, maybe deacon is better for me since I do not have the patience to return to college.
 
It would be a good idea to discuss these matters with a Vocation Director in your Diocese.
 
If you have three questions to ask someone in Religious life, what would they be?😃
Sister Helena,

I am not quite sure what my vocation is. I am 22 and I flip flop between marriage or the religious life. I have scores of questions about the religious life, but these are the first three that come to mind. They will sound silly, but I mean them in all sincerity.
  1. Would a nun be allowed to go rock climbing? Would it be possible for there to be a convent that was in fact a rock climbing gym, run by nuns who do charity work and donate all the proceeds to various causes?
  2. Do you have young people enter the religious life who happen to have pets? I don’t really picture a nun with a pet, but I wouldn’t know what to do with my dog. I would not replace her after she died, but I would feel really bad about giving her back to the shelter.
  3. If religious life was the thing for me, I would want to be the sort of nun who wears a habit. Would it be ok if I continued to shave my armpits? (sorry to be gross.) I know no one would see them, but I would want to take care of that anyway.
Again, I know my questions seem outlandish, but they are questions I have had for some time. Naturally, one should be willing to give up rock climbing, pets and shaving her armpits to become a nun. I was just wondering if you had to. I’m sure I will regret asking my silly questions almost immediately after posting this, but I saw the opportunity to finally have some of them answered and had to try for it. (I’ll work on compiling my more serious spiritual questions)
 
Sister Helena,
  1. Would a nun be allowed to go rock climbing? Would it be possible for there to be a convent that was in fact a rock climbing gym, run by nuns who do charity work and donate all the proceeds to various causes?
I have no inside information about this question. I know that in my Community, we would not be allowed to do this for safety reason!
 
Sister Helena,
  1. Do you have young people enter the religious life who happen to have pets? I don’t really picture a nun with a pet, but I wouldn’t know what to do with my dog. I would not replace her after she died, but I would feel really bad about giving her back to the shelter.
/QUOTE]

No, the idea of a nun having her own pet in the convent is not permitted because of the obligation of the vows not permitting one to have anything to be considered her own. But there are communities who allow dogs in their convents as the Community’s pet. That will depend with the community’s living conditions and decision. Our Community allows for dogs and cats in the nursing home (that is our ministry) for the residents, but never in the convent where the Sisters stay. You have to consider the fact that some of the Sisters may be allergic to animal hairs or the like. That is something you can deal with when you know what community you are joining.
 
Sister Helena,
  1. If religious life was the thing for me, I would want to be the sort of nun who wears a habit. Would it be ok if I continued to shave my armpits? (sorry to be gross.) I know no one would see them, but I would want to take care of that anyway.
I am sure that is permissible for reason of hygiene.🙂
 
🙂 Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions! I really appreciate it. I’m still working on my other questions. I got distracted by a thread about Texas.
 
Oh, I have another question. Unfortunately all of my questions seem to be lifestyle questions, this one included. That might be indicative that the religious life is not for me and I’m just very curious about the lifestyle. Or maybe it is and I just don’t have my priorities in order. Anyway here it is:

What opportunities would be open to you for continuing education? Would you be able/allowed to get further degrees after becoming a nun, provided that they were of a religious nature? If not, are there non-degreed opportunities for continuing education in a convent such as classes of some sort?
 
Oh, I have another question. Unfortunately all of my questions seem to be lifestyle questions, this one included. That might be indicative that the religious life is not for me and I’m just very curious about the lifestyle. Or maybe it is and I just don’t have my priorities in order. Anyway here it is:

What opportunities would be open to you for continuing education? Would you be able/allowed to get further degrees after becoming a nun, provided that they were of a religious nature? If not, are there non-degreed opportunities for continuing education in a convent such as classes of some sort?
The Professional Continuing Education is permitted in my community if the course is related or beneficial to our ministry. New members are encouraged to enroll in continuing education related to nursing or other health care related fields. Some Sisters who need to keep their Nursing or Administrative licenses also attend conferences and workshops which offer credits. Personal Enhancement Education is also permitted on a case to case basis: Music Lessons, Driving lessons, Sewing, Computer, etc. are some examples. Other communities will have their own provisions according to their Rule and Constitutions and so it is best to ask questions when one is discerning.
 
I’m feeling a bit more drawn to the religious life lately than before, but not a definite calling.

My interest would be in a community that had a structured day or prayer and work, but still quite active and flexible. Are there orders that give you the flexibility to explore various charitable works and projects? I know there are some that are devoted to a particular type of charity, I was wondering if there are some that are very open to ideas and new projects.

While I have a lot of strange ways and ideas, I am rather traditional in my faith and would want the order to have a very traditional and reverent Mass(does not have to be Latin). There are some orders of nuns that are progressive/modernist/feminist/scary and I want to stay away from that.

Where would you recommend I start looking?
 
I’m feeling a bit more drawn to the religious life lately than before, but not a definite calling.

My interest would be in a community that had a structured day or prayer and work, but still quite active and flexible. Are there orders that give you the flexibility to explore various charitable works and projects? I know there are some that are devoted to a particular type of charity, I was wondering if there are some that are very open to ideas and new projects.

While I have a lot of strange ways and ideas, I am rather traditional in my faith and would want the order to have a very traditional and reverent Mass(does not have to be Latin). There are some orders of nuns that are progressive/modernist/feminist/scary and I want to stay away from that.

Where would you recommend I start looking?
When you decide to enter a particular Community, you commit yourself to do the ministry or charism entrusted to that Community. In other words, if you enter a teaching community, you are expected to carry out the teaching ministry and not engage in healthcare as a sideline. Doing our own will, even if our intentions are noble and great, is the first thing one gives up in Religious Life. Obedience is more acceptable to God than sacrifice. Communities should be open to new ideas otherwise it will wither, stagnate and eventually die out. But ideas and projects should remain within the framework of the Community’s founding spirit. That is the only way a religious community can truly serve the Church. "There are different works but the same Spirit. "

Traditionalism has its positive and negative sides. I prefer the word “orthodox.” If a Community remains within the confines of what is in the mind of the Church, I have no problem with it. There are essentials in Religious life that do not change and are non-negotiable but they do not have to be traditional. Examples for me are prayer life, community life, approved apostolic ministry, religious habit, liturgy and devotional life. Faithfulness to the Magisterium is so important because religious life is part of the holiness of the Church.

I think you have to sort out what lifestyle are you most called to- active or cloistered. Basing on your description of yourself, you might find cloistered life very difficult if you are looking for flexibility. It is a very structured life and no explicit ministry outside the monastery. Then go on-line to check out different communities. Visit or contact the ones which attract you. It is better for you to see them up close and personal than for others to tell you about them. If you go far enough in your discernment, ask to read their Constitutions. This will give you an idea of what the Community is bound to follow and what God through His Church wants of it. Hope this helps.🙂
 
I’m a college student, and I’m wondering whether I have a religious vocation. I know that my favorite thing is Mass and prayer! I go to Mass everyday and spend a couple of hours praying every day, and I would love to increase that significantly. I’m trying to be patient with myself right now because I’ve only recently returned to the Church after a long absence (caused largely by a poor understanding of the Church as a child). I would LOVE to have kids, but I honestly don’t see myself happy in the marriage vocation without children, which makes me think I may not be called in that direction. I also fear that I’m imagining this pull I feel toward religious life. :o

I do have a couple of questions, Sister.
  1. How do rules of poverty work in most communities? Do you have “spending money”? Are you allowed to be given gifts? Is there money available for visiting family sometimes?
  2. I’ve always felt so jealous that priests can go to seminary and learn so much about Catholicism! I know that whether I’m a religious or a lay person, I want to study as much about the faith as possible. I think the Dominicans are known for this. Do you know any other orders particularly known for the education of their sisters?
  3. Do you have any advice about what I should be doing now? I pray about this a lot, and I’ve looked up religious communities online. Is there anything else?
Thank you so much, Sister! 🙂
 
I’m a college student, and I’m wondering whether I have a religious vocation. I know that my favorite thing is Mass and prayer! I go to Mass everyday and spend a couple of hours praying every day, and I would love to increase that significantly. I’m trying to be patient with myself right now because I’ve only recently returned to the Church after a long absence (caused largely by a poor understanding of the Church as a child). I would LOVE to have kids, but I honestly don’t see myself happy in the marriage vocation without children, which makes me think I may not be called in that direction. I also fear that I’m imagining this pull I feel toward religious life. :o

I do have a couple of questions, Sister.
  1. How do rules of poverty work in most communities? Do you have “spending money”? Are you allowed to be given gifts? Is there money available for visiting family sometimes?
  2. I’ve always felt so jealous that priests can go to seminary and learn so much about Catholicism! I know that whether I’m a religious or a lay person, I want to study as much about the faith as possible. I think the Dominicans are known for this. Do you know any other orders particularly known for the education of their sisters?
  3. Do you have any advice about what I should be doing now? I pray about this a lot, and I’ve looked up religious communities online. Is there anything else?
Thank you so much, Sister! 🙂
The vow of poverty is practiced differently in different communities. It is also dependent whether the religious is bound by solemn or simple vows. Solemn vows oblige members professing them not to own or keep a patrimony (inheritance etc.). Simple vows allow patrimonies as long as it is not administered by the religious her/himself but designates a guardian to manage this for her/him. Simple vows allow religious to use material items with permission but not allowed to own them. I profess simple vows and so I have permission to use a computer, a car, or radio. they belong to the community for all its member’s use. I cannot claim anything as my own. In reality, simple and solemn vows differ mostly in canonical restrictions more than in practice. We do have a monthly stipend to buy personal care items, stamps, cards, etc. The amount is decided by each community. Gifts given to one religious technically belong to the Community. If one wants to keep it, permission by the local superior must be obtained. Expenses incurred by the individual religious is shouldered by the Community. the idea of financial dependence is inherent in the vows.

Since Vatican II, more and more opportunities for human and personal growth are made available to Religious. Studies in areas of theology, psychosocial fields and healthcare are highly encouraged not only for the benefit of the Community’s ministry but also for the Sister’s own growth. The extent of study will depend on the Community’s ministry and finances.

If you have Orders you found on-line which attract you, you should pay them a visit or make contact with them. Bring down the theory to practice! Narrow down your search and ask questions. Know what you are looking for. Pray everyday to the Holy Spirit to enlighten you. And most of all, do everything without any pressure or urgency of finding. Sometimes we get caught up in the adventure of searching, we don’t see it even when it’s staring us in the face! Do not be afraid to try once you find it. Religious life is a very long process. You don’t become a Sister or Nun once the convent gate is closed behind you. Once you take the first steps, God will do the rest. Do not be afraid.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top