What can I do about confession?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mario22
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mario22

Guest
I did something terrible , i confessed it and i was given a penance which will require me to attend daily mass and receive communion for a month, however, i couldn’t because of work, the time for mass is that time i hassle to commute to work. So i failed, then I went to another confession , but the priest told me that I have to re do the penance but i cant receive communion. I dont know what to do.Attending daily mass is a big challenge.
 
I did something terrible , i confessed it and i was given a penance which will require me to attend daily mass and receive communion for a month, however, i couldn’t because of work, the time for mass is that time i hassle to commute to work. So i failed, then I went to another confession , but the priest told me that I have to re do the penance but i cant receive communion. I dont know what to do.Attending daily mass is a big challenge.
My first thought is to find an understanding priest who will hear you.
 
Hi Mario22
Did you receive absolution during confession? If so, your sin is no more and you can receive the Eucharist. My understanding is that we need to perform our penance however absolution is not dependent upon penance.

Is your concern that your unfulfilled penance is a new sin? We are not required to do what is impossible. Please make an appointment with an understanding priest to discuss this. All Catholics have the right to the Sacraments. God Bless
 
Yes, find a priest that can give you a penance that you can complete!!

Sounds like the priest is being a bit too harsh
 
Absolution is not dependent upon completion of the penance, but failure to complete a penance through our own fault is another sin. If that penance is not actually reasonably possible for you, then it was not a sin to fail to complete it, and either way your original sins are absolved. If you explained the situation clearly to the priest and he still gave you a penance you could not complete, then it is worth talking to a different priest.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top