What defines deliberate consent in mortal sin

  • Thread starter Thread starter LebaneseCatbolic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LebaneseCatbolic

Guest
I know this sounds wierd, but I would really want to see an example of full deliberate consent to a sin (without doing it myself), because I can’t tell what is full deliberate consent.

I have a similar question to “full knowledge”. Does that mean you think its a sin and you are pretty sure, or does it mean you must have it 100% confirmed?
 
Thank you very much! This helps, because my problem is that I can never reliably judge wether I had deliberate consent to something because my mind messes with the whole thing and I go crazy over literally the smallest things sometimes. I can never seem to remember my intentions, and confession isn’t exactly easy to get to.
 
We can also sin by intention alone. So if our intention is to commit adultery and we have full knowledge, and give full consent, it is a mortal sin by intention alone. To go out and commit the sin of adultery is another mortal sin. Full consent is knowing it’s a sin, but doing it anyways. Adultery in one of the 10 Commandments so most people have full knowledge that adultery is a grave sin.

http://www.catholicharboroffaithandmorals.com/Catholic Laws on Marriage and Divorce.html
 
I know this sounds wierd, but I would really want to see an example of full deliberate consent to a sin (without doing it myself), because I can’t tell what is full deliberate consent.

I have a similar question to “full knowledge”. Does that mean you think its a sin and you are pretty sure, or does it mean you must have it 100% confirmed?
If you know the Church teaches an act is grave matter and you go ahead and commit the act then that would be a mortal sin (leaving aside mental incapacity or coercion).

Some people take the view that it is almost impossible to commit a mortal sin because they maintain they do not 100% understand why something is grave matter and then even if they did if they did not sit and contemplate what they are about to do before doing it then no full consent is there.
In my view these positions are nonsense because it is just a way such people justify continuing to sin.
 
Last edited:
Example from Baltimore Catechism No. 4
56 Q. How many things are necessary to make a sin mortal?
A. To make a sin mortal three things are necessary: a grievous matter,
sufficient reflection, and full consent of the will.

“Grievous matter.” To steal is a sin. Now, if you steal only a pin the
act of stealing in that case could not be a mortal sin, because the
“matter,” namely, the stealing of an ordinary pin, is not grievous. But
suppose it was a diamond pin of great value, then it would surely be
“grievous matter.” “Sufficient reflection,” that is, you must know what
you are doing at the time you do it. For example, suppose while you
stole the diamond pin you thought you were stealing a pin with a small
piece of glass, of little value, you would not have sufficient
reflection and would not commit a mortal sin till you found out that
what you had stolen was a valuable diamond; if you continued to keep it
after learning your mistake, you would surely commit a mortal sin. “Full
consent.” Suppose you were shooting at a target and accidentally killed
a man: you would not have the sin of murder, because you did not will or
wish to kill a man.

Therefore three things are necessary that your act may be a mortal sin:
(1) The act you do must be bad, and sufficiently important; (2) You must
reflect that you are doing it, and know that it is wrong; (3) You must
do it freely, deliberately, and willfully.
 
Last edited:
So, you have to fully realize what you are doing is mortal, before or during the sin, and still freely decide to do it. What happens if you do know it was mortal but you didn’t remember it at the time, like for instance, somebody is tired or just woke up, and did something bad when not fully thinking.
 
I find “full consent” most confusing when it involves habitual and/or addiction. Maybe also anxiety or weakness of will.

An example would be a weekend trip with some friends. Before the weekend you make plans to make Mass but when the time comes you succumb to peer pressure from friends who insure you God won’t care this one time. You know they are wrong but with your weak will and anxiety of confrontation or inconvenience you give in. You can call it a form of coercion, but you feel you should be strong enough to do your thing.
 
Yes, because I find it that I keep doubting almost anything, because it could be attached to a grave matter, but I genuinely never mean to offend God. So then I try to figure out how much I consented, but then I just start thinking I am fooling myself to think I didn’t sin. Is that supposed to happen?
 
Last weekend I lied to my partner where I was.

She found out…

She accused me of cheating, drug taking… And yelled at my best friend for lying to her.

To clear my name I was asked to put hand on bible in front of our local priest.

Before I did he said, there will be no way back from this only hell no redemption.

I put hand on bible and told the truth.

Now my Mrs feels bad.

That defines your question?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top