What did the Jews think Jesus meant when he said take up your cross?

• Thread starter Thread starter kwitz
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kwitz

Today’s gospel from Luke 14 has Jesus telling his apostles they must take up their cross to follow him. I’ve always heard through my eyes as a Christian who knows of course that Jesus suffered and died on a cross. But when listening today at Mass it struck me that these words were said before the crucifixion occurred. Would the disciples have had any understanding of what Jesus meant or would this have been one of those sayings that they would’ve had one of those “aha” moments after Jesus’ crucifixion and resurrection?

Any thoughts?

Kris

The Jews of Jesus time would have been very familiar with crucifixion–more so than we are since it was a common form of execution by the occupying Romans (it was apparently widely practiced by the Persians before them, who were a major superpower in the Middle East for many centuries). It was considered a particularly cruel and humiliating form of execution reserved only for non-Roman citizens and for the lowest form of criminal.When Jesus brought up the image in his preaching, the Jews knew exactly what he was talking about–and shuddered.

Message to Kris-

I have wondered that exact same thing for some time now.
I just joined Catholic Answers Forum today.
Do we just wait and come back to this question of ours to see if there is a reply?
Pat

As Fidelis wrote, the Jews certainly knew what crucifixion was, and the disciples knew, as well. But, they were basically clueless as to what Jesus meant by using the expression “take up your cross and follow me”. They were not capable of comprehending that the Messiah was going to die such a death. Indeed, Peter rebuked Jesus for saying that he was going to be killed in such a way. So, it wasn’t until after Jesus had been crucified and had risen from the dead that they finally understood what he had been talking about, and even then it was a gradual awakening to Jesus’ meaning as they too suffered persecution for being followers of his.

As an aside (from a Jewess who doesn’t believe a word of it 😉 -

Since untold thousands of Jews were being crucified by the Romans at that time, there could have been little doubt about crosses.

As to the rest, that’s your religion not mine.

Cabaret, Welcome to the boards.

We certainly understand that jews would know about crucifixtion (after all, as was said, it was rather common). However, we are questioning whether they would have understood the phrase “Take up your crosses” as we do.

This leads to a historical question–was it common for a criminal to be forced to carry their cross to the site of their death?

Whatever the answer to the above would be the question remains…would they understand that Jesus was saying “Accept your persecutions, and follow me” or were they just confused at the use of such graphic imagery?

-PM

40.png
PioMagnus:
Cabaret, Welcome to the boards.

We certainly understand that jews would know about crucifixtion (after all, as was said, it was rather common). However, we are questioning whether they would have understood the phrase “Take up your crosses” as we do.
There was a little sticking my tongue out with my winking smiley - I did understand what you were talking about, even I know enough about Christianity to know that. 🙂
40.png
PioMagnus:
This leads to a historical question–was it common for a criminal to be forced to carry their cross to the site of their death?.
I don’t know, I expect it would depend on what kind of example of the victim the Romans were trying to make.
Whatever the answer to the above would be the question remains…would they understand that Jesus was saying “Accept your persecutions, and follow me” or were they just confused at the use of such graphic imagery?

-PM
I’m not trying to be controversial just for the sake of it but there’s always seemed to me to be quite a bit in the Christian scriptures that would have mystified, indeed horrified, Jews of the time (as in the question of blood consumption - however metaphorical - in the story of The Last Supper, which I would have expected to have sent them shrieking from the room).

Hello cabaret and welcome. It’s exciting to have a Jewish person here. I live in Sharon, MA. We have a very large population of Jewish people. So I understand Jewish thought and religion and I have a great love and respect for Jewish people. Many Christians would do well to understand Judaism in order to understand Christianity better. For example, the Catholic mass (the priest raises the bread and the cup) is similar to a seder. Catholics have a “seder” every Sunday. Amazing isn’t it?
40.png
cabaret:
…there’s always seemed to me to be quite a bit in the Christian scriptures that would have mystified, indeed horrified, Jews of the time (as in the question of blood consumption - however metaphorical - in the story of The Last Supper, which I would have expected to have sent them shrieking from the room).
I think that by the time of the Last Supper Jesus had already shocked the disciples. For example, in John 6, many people who were unable to accept the teaching about communion, left. Although many disciples were still learning and reflecting on their experience of Jesus (even after His resurrection as Christians believe), they had stayed with Him through much so were probably (at least somewhat) more open-minded by the time of the Last Supper.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back