• Thread starter Thread starter Hermione
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hermione

Hello everyone,

I came across this:

“A day of abstinence is a day on which Catholics fourteen years or older are required to abstain from eating meat (under the current discipline in America, fish, eggs, milk products, and condiments or foods made using animal fat are permitted in the Western Rite of the Church, though not in the Eastern Rites.) Again, persons with special dietary needs can easily be dispensed by their pastor.”
cin.org/users/james/files/lent.htm

I think the Bishop in my area is an Eastern Rite Bishop… does this mean I should abstain from fish, eggs, milk etc. as well?

I am not sure of the egg thing in the Eastern Rite. Our family detests eggs so it is not an issue. But we are in Meatfare and Cheesefare and we should not eat dairy or meat products on Weds and Fri of thorugh Lent. I already do not eat dairy products because I am allergic. So I eat very plain meals (e.g. steamed rice, dry toast, minimal flavoring).

• JMJ +
Go to “Farewell to Meat - meatfare Sunday” in this forum. Heychios (sp?) posted an answer - and yes, eggs are included, but I am going to seek more clarification from our Byzantine priest this Sunday. I would copy and paste - but I am computer stupid.

40.png
Hermione:
I think the Bishop in my area is an Eastern Rite Bishop… does this mean I should abstain from fish, eggs, milk etc. as well?
The rite of the bishop in your area* isn’t so important as: What is *your *rite?

(* There are, as likely as not, both eastern and western rite bishops with co-territorial dioceses governing the area where you live. )

tee

40.png
tee_eff_em:
The rite of the bishop in your area* isn’t so important as: What is *your *rite?

(* There are, as likely as not, both eastern and western rite bishops with co-territorial dioceses governing the area where you live. )

tee
I’m in RCIA so I don’t have a “rite” Will my rite be Eastern because I’ll be confirmed by an Eastern Rite Bishop?

40.png
Hermione:
I’m in RCIA so I don’t have a “rite” Will my rite be Eastern because I’ll be confirmed by an Eastern Rite Bishop?
That depends. I may be wrong, but I think the RCIA is the rite for the Latin Church. I suppose that the Eastern Rites could follow it if the bishop chose, but I understood that they had their own rites of initiation just as they have their own rites for the Mass. Regardless, if you contact your parish or diocesan office, they will provide you with the requirements you need to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back