What do yo do on All Souls Day?

• Thread starter Thread starter yallguys
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yallguys

Hello,
I am wondering what each of you do on All Souls Day? Do you have, do, or say any special prayers, devotions, indulgences, traditions, etc…? I’d like to hear anything you have to say on the topic. Thanks.

This will be my first “official” All Souls Day as a Catholic (praise God). What joy and comfort this day brings to me.

My husband died 2 years ago, and although I pray for his soul, what a wonderful feeling it is to know that there is a day set aside just for him and all other loved ones who have passed.

I will spend some time alone in the Chapel, light a candle and pray that his soul has received peace after spending so many years on earth in constant pain, he was a Disabled Veteran (head injury).
Also, while in the chapel, I will say a special Rosary for his soul.

May God grant eternal peace to all the souls of our loved ones.

My mother passed away 10 years ago this month (13th.) and her brother died 6 years ago this month too (24th). It’s been 2 years since my father has passed.

November is an interesting month to remember the souls of our dearly departed. It is just a seasonal thing too, the leaves on the trees are fallen, the air is colder and the wind blows harder. Snow will be flying and coating the ground. All of creation (at least in the north) will show signs of ‘death’ from the summer warmth.

If my brother isn’t too tired today, maybe I can coax him to take me to the cemetery today for our parents.

go with God!
Edwin

Pray, pray, pray :gopray2: :gopray: :gopray2:

I’ve been gathering information for a family tree. Some of the names are just names until I realize that each name is a unique, never to be repeated, person with hopes, dreams and broken dreams. Like me each was also a sinner, so I’ve been praying for my family going all the way back to Adam and Eve. I pray for those they loved and those they offended and their benefactors along the way. My father died in 1970, my mother in 2003 and the list gets ever longer.

This year, when our priest asked for a list of those to be remembered at the altar, I got out my family tree. It’s a good time to empty Purgatory.:yup:

Come to me, all of you who are tired
and heavily laden,
And I will give you rest.

Eternal rest grant unto them O Lord,
And let the perpetual light shine upon them.
May the souls of the faithful departed
Through the mercy of God
Rest in peacel
Amen.

I’ve been gathering information for a family tree. Some of the names are just names until I realize that each name is a unique, never to be repeated, person with hopes, dreams and broken dreams. Like me each was also a sinner, so I’ve been praying for my family going all the way back to Adam and Eve. I pray for those they loved and those they offended and their benefactors along the way. My father died in 1970, my mother in 2003 and the list gets ever longer.

This year, when our priest asked for a list of those to be remembered at the altar, I got out my family tree. It’s a good time to empty Purgatory.:yup:

Come to me, all you who are weary
and find life burdensome,
and I will refresh you. Matthew 11:28

Through the mercy of God
Rest in peacel

Amen.

Glory to God
Joanna

I pray the Office of the Dead. It really is a beautiful office, especially the Canticle of Hezekias from the book of Isaiah.

I will bring my 2 sons to Adoration with me tonight to remember our loved ones and all souls.

We will be celebrating All Souls Day (Dia de los Muertos) at my parish today by having a Mass and a procession immediately following the Mass to the Church hall where the community will then add pictures or mementos of their loved ones to the “altar of the dead”. There will be ballet folkorico, tamales, hot chocolate and I think last year they had a pinata for the kids.

Note that this is one of the most celebrated feast days in Mexico:

Our Parish celebrates noon Mass at the Catholic Cemetary on All Soul’s Day. This year, looks like it will be rained out 😦

40.png
yallguys:
Hello,
I am wondering what each of you do on All Souls Day? Do you have, do, or say any special prayers, devotions, indulgences, traditions, etc…? I’d like to hear anything you have to say on the topic. Thanks.
I just got back from Mass and today is indeed All Soul’s Day. We remember all of our departed loved ones and also the Saints.

The priest told us today that when we receive the Holy Eucharist, we are also close to all of our departed loved ones because they are also in the presence of Jesus.

We sang “On Eagle’s Wing’s”. It was beautiful.

Your Sister in Christ,
Shannin

This year I voted against John Kerry and against an additional 1% local sales tax.

40.png
AlanFromWichita:
This year I voted against John Kerry and against an additional 1% local sales tax.
Also an excellent thing to do this day!

40.png
Joanna:

Come to me, all you who are weary
and find life burdensome,
and I will refresh you. Matthew 11:28

Through the mercy of God
Rest in peacel

Amen.

Glory to God
Joanna
As a fellow genealogist, I pray not just today but every night for the souls of my parents and ALL my ancestors, known and unknown to me, and the forgotten souls in purgatory (That would cover just about everyone!).

go with God!
Edwin

40.png
Edwin1961:
As a fellow genealogist, I pray not just today but every night for the souls of my parents and ALL my ancestors, known and unknown to me, and the forgotten souls in purgatory (That would cover just about everyone!).

go with God!
Edwin
Actually, me, too. At morning Mass I like to pray for the “people of my life”, those that have gone before me and those still here on earth with me. I picture the faces of school-mates, old teachers, church-mates, relatives, whoever comes to mind. It’s a great way of becoming thankful for my life’s blessings. Heaven will be a wonderful homecoming.:yup:

Maranatha!
Joanna

I thought el dia de los muertos would be a big thing here, but other than an altar in the parochial school, just the regulars at am Mass. Took the jr high CCD classes to evening Mass, good thing because without us the church would have been empty. I did not warn father in advance because it was a last minute decision (my mental processes are slow), and I saw him send the sacristan for more hosts before Mass began. He did his usually wonderful trick of pitching his sermon directly to his audience. Without speaking down to them he gave a great explanation of the doctrine of purgatory aimed at their level, but approriate to everyone in the church. My instincts were right, Mass trumps CCD, let Jesus and Holy Spirit do the teaching.

Dear friends

On All Souls, I pray. Everyday I pray for the souls in Purgatory and those who are dying and have just died, for the souls on earth also. Any pain, suffering, sadness and upset I suffer myself I place in the chalice at every Mass I attend and offer it up for mercy on all souls, in Heaven (graces and glory can be added to a soul in Heaven by this) in Purgatory and on earth. Then every single day, I offer any pain and suffering in the same way offering it up to God for all souls wherever they may be, that mercy comes to all people from God and that all can live in His eternal light and bueaty when they die/ released from Purgatory. I offer all my suffering for mercy on all souls, living and dead.

I also offer up anything that God may have found pleasing in me, for atonement of my sins and those of all souls, living and dead.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back