What do YOU do to make your Parish a better place?

• Thread starter Thread starter David_B
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David_B

I’m trying to think of ways people can possibly spread their faith and help to invigorate their parishes, where at least here in the good ole Commonwealth of Massachusetts are the most part are pretty dry Sacremental Factories (quite a few notable exceptions, which I’m happy to say 🙂 ).

Over the years I’ve volunteered in Liturgical Roles, such as being a Reader, Usher, Server, Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion, as well as other roles such as teaching Religious Education.

What more things can we do to help reinvigorate our parishes? Especially those where the only activity outside of Mass is limited to some sweet old grandmothers hanging out?

I am really good at making suggestions. I have been known to sometimes follow through on what I suggest.

40.png
contemplative:
I am really good at making suggestions. I have been known to sometimes follow through on what I suggest.
What would be an example of the type of suggestions you go for? I think it makes sense to be in this sort of role, as I think I’ve done it too…sometimes the priest might just need some encouragement to follow through with activities that can brighten a parish considerably, such as Eucharistic Adoration.

rocking chairs in back of church for mothers of babies

welcoming bags for newly registered in the parish

surplus large white shirts for ushers, lectors, Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion who don’t dress appropriately for the Mass

when I think of more I have come up with I’ll repost

I play guitar and sing tenor in one of the Mass choirs.

I also stand up to the priest when I think he has done something wrong and praise him when he does something right.

Great thread David!

I committed to being present for at least one hour during our new hours of Eucharistic Adoration on Tuesdays from 8am until 7pm. I chose the 5:00 - 6:00 pm hour and it didn’t occur to me until the first time I went that daily mass is at 5:15. So very often there are only the two of us there while everyone goes to Mass.

I pray for our priests and Archbishop every day. Every now and then, I let the priests know I pray for them - I hardly ever see the archbishop.

It’s hard not to just jump right in and volunteer for everything, but I would like to do more.

Dear friend

I pray.

I also help out with whatever I am told to help out with.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

I am very active in our Perpetual Eucharistic Adoraton program. I write a quarterly six page newsletter that is spiritually nourishing and sometimes a form of catechesis.

I am very strict with my sons during Mass, too. They must genuflect coming in and going out. They are admonished to not be a distraction or an occaision of sin either.

I pray for my parish and our priests and deacons.

My husband is the extraordinary minister of the Eucharist. I graciously allow him to take Eucharist on Sundays to a nursing home. (I say graciously because we have a new son who is five years old. He is a handful to say the least. I am quite worn down by the weekend and need some respite time. My husband works a lot of hours during the week and he sometimes works part of Saturday. I need a break from the new kid and the older brother at least once in awhile.)

We also increase the racial diversity in our parish with the children we adopt.

A few things that my family and/or I do:
  1. Pray for our pastor and everyone else at our parish.
  2. We kneel down as a family after Mass and pray for the Pope and thanksgiving for the Mass. There’s a plenary indulgence for this under the usual circumstances. Also, one of the side effects of this is that we are praying after Mass while everyone else is chit-chatting. We hope that it sets a good example.
  3. I participate in and sometimes lead a Saturday morning men’s St. Joseph’s Covenant Keepers group.
  4. I’m in the KofC and try to help out when I can with pancake breakfasts, Tootsie Rolls, etc.
Things I think we should start doing:
  1. Start making sacrifices for our Pastor and the parish in addition to prayer.
  2. Strive more for holiness in our lives. I think this, too, helps the parish.

the number one most important thing for lay Catholics to do to serve the parish and build up the Church, after joining in the public prayer and worship of Christ, is to conduct their own families as domestic churches, seeing that God is honored there, that His commandments are obeyed, that His Word is proclaimed and heard, that every aspect of family life, including the marriage bed, is consecrated to Him, placed under His protection, and conformed to His will. That children are taught the reality of His love for us and the implications of that love for the conduct of our lives. That the family pray together and make decisions in the context of that relationship with God.

40.png
puzzleannie:
the number one most important thing for lay Catholics to do to serve the parish and build up the Church, after joining in the public prayer and worship of Christ, is to conduct their own families as domestic churches, seeing that God is honored there, that His commandments are obeyed, that His Word is proclaimed and heard, that every aspect of family life, including the marriage bed, is consecrated to Him, placed under His protection, and conformed to His will. That children are taught the reality of His love for us and the implications of that love for the conduct of our lives. That the family pray together and make decisions in the context of that relationship with God.
I must agree whole heartedly the family is the most important thing for lay catholic to take care of.

1. *]No matter how small or big the task, everyone should receive a “thank you.”
    *]Attend diocese workshops.
    *]Don’t take my role for granted - that’s why we gather together as a community for Mass.
    *]Be humble.
    *]Thank God!
    *]Speak to anyone who wants to have a conversation.
    *]Teach and learn from others.
    *]Pray for people who “upset me”.
    *]Read something interesting online? Email the URL.
    *]Include everyone & keep in touch.

I sing in the choir and teach CCD. I prepare the students for First Reconciliation, First Communion, and Confirmation and work hard organizing the celebrations. Presently I am organizing a retreat and have been praying hard for my parish which is presently dieing.

40.png
lkopteros:
I sing in the choir and teach CCD. I prepare the students for First Reconciliation, First Communion, and Confirmation and work hard organizing the celebrations. Presently I am organizing a retreat and have been praying hard for my parish which is presently dieing.
I think this leads to a dilemma for some people, including myself. Do I join and participate in a parish that is very strong and vibrant and appeals to me in many ways or do I try to help reinvigorate my almost-dead parish? I think its a hard call and depends on the person.

At my campus chapel I serve as a sacristan so I set up for masses and clean the chapel. Along with being a sacristan, I am required to help out in liturgical roles when needed. These include serving, reading, EMHC’ing, and ushering at times. I enjoy it quite a lot.🙂

matthew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back