What do YOU do with a deceased persons Rosary?

• Thread starter Thread starter lyoncoeur
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lyoncoeur

I could not think of anyplace else that this question fits…I am just curious…In my family is seems to be the “fassion” to pass a deceased relatives Rosary Beads down to another member of the family…consequently I am in possession of 3 rosaries, It seems to me that one would want their personal rosary to be buried with ones self…that is what I want at least.

Any views to share??

My opinion is that when you physically die, you need nothing physical to help you, so I would leave everything to people who can benefit from them in the future.

A buried rosary is not prayed, but one given away can be.

In addition, those who receive your spiritual items (which would be considers relics if you became canonized) (rosary, wedding ring, etc.) after you die, are reminded to pray for you while you are in purgatory (and every prayer helps). These people are probably some of the special people who you will be praying for in Heaven.

Just my :twocents:.

40.png
lyoncoeur:
I could not think of anyplace else that this question fits…I am just curious…In my family is seems to be the “fassion” to pass a deceased relatives Rosary Beads down to another member of the family…consequently I am in possession of 3 rosaries, It seems to me that one would want their personal rosary to be buried with ones self…that is what I want at least.

Any views to share??
it is** no ** sacrilege to bury the Rosary with the deceased. You might check with some of your other relatives, they may wish to have the Rosary. I would recommend that they be a catholic, or at least some one who understands that it is a blessed article… (i do not like it when i see a Rosary hanging from a rear view mirror in a car), and many a catholic does that now… :cool:

Curious…now I do have my rosary hainging on my rear view mirror…to remind me to pray it at least once during my daily 200+ mile commute to and from work…it’s better than road rage.

40.png
lyoncoeur:
Curious…now I do have my rosary hainging on my rear view mirror…to remind me to pray it at least once during my daily 200+ mile commute to and from work…it’s better than road rage.
I hope the 200+ mile commute is a roundtrip figure. . .

40.png
lyoncoeur:
Hey, don’t misunderstand… that’s fine… it’s just a pet peeve for ME!.. i have seen roach clips hanging from the same mirror as the Rosary… I have seen large dice and other things to crude to mention on this thread, and that’s the reason for my cringe… I certainly didn’t mean to offend (and i apologize to you if i did) anyone who uses the Roasry to get closer to God, after all that’s what its all about… i thought after the first post that i should have thrown in this disclaimer, my mistake… sorry… :o

40.png
lyoncoeur:
I have one on my rearview for the same reason. I figure I’m a lot more likely to pray and a lot less likely to start swearing and flipping the bird at rude drivers if I have something in my sightline that reminds me to behave as a member of the Body of Christ.

40.png
SeekerJen:
I have one on my rearview for the same reason. I figure I’m a lot more likely to pray and a lot less likely to start swearing and flipping the bird at rude drivers if I have something in my sightline that reminds me to behave as a member of the Body of Christ.
Please see the all encompassing apology prior to your post… i got to use more disclaimers… 👍

40.png
SeekerJen:
Using rosaries and other religious items as reminders of our faith is a good thing. Too often, do we forget our true calling (to love & serve God) in the hustle and bustle of life; we all can benefit from those reminders to call us back to our true calling. :yup:

space ghost:
Hey, don’t misunderstand… that’s fine… it’s just a pet peeve for ME!.. i have seen roach clips hanging from the same mirror as the Rosary… I have seen large dice and other things to crude to mention on this thread, and that’s the reason for my cringe… I certainly didn’t mean to offend (and i apologize to you if i did) anyone who uses the Roasry to get closer to God, after all that’s what its all about… i thought after the first post that i should have thrown in this disclaimer, my mistake… sorry… :o
No problem my friend…I am not offended in the least, please be at ease. We all have our peeves, and we are indeed entitled to express them in a civil and honest mannor. Cheers!

sigh:( …my great-grandfather’s rosary that he prayed every night is in a box somewhere with other junk…he was burried with a rosary but the one he used nearly his whole life was considered too ugly…my grandparents have no idea how to treat religious objects, I hope it didn’t get disgarded…please pray that I one day have the strength to ask for it.

I received both of my parents’ “daily” rosaries after they died (they had others that went to my siblings). My father’s is kept next to my chair where I pray it, and my mother’s hangs on my rearview mirror where I pray it every single day on my commute.

'thann

It has been the tradition in my family that unless the rosary has been promised to someone else, to bury a person’s rosary (if they have one) with them. I think it is a matter of personal preference or familial tradition and there is no one right way.

I keep the mother of pearl rosary which my grandmother gave my grandfather, at their wedding a hundred years ago, on my prayer table. I also keep his father’s 19th century Bible there. Both are too fragile for use.

I just realized the other day that I have had the rosary longer than my grandfather had it. Though I doubt that I have said it as often as he did.

I find myself “saving” Rosaries from garage sales and dubious Catholics-in-name-only all the time. One fine use is to donate them in the name of the decedent to your local parish to be given to children making their First Communion or to RCIA candidates who are old enough to appreciate how special something like that can be. The Knights of Columbus are also good Rosarians who can often find a good home for much loved Rosary beads.

Give it to someone who is dead in their faith, and perhaps it will awaken them.

When my grandmother died in 1997, I was very happy to receive her rosary, the one she prayed every single day. I use it now, and the feeling of those beads is mystical in itself. They are wooden, worn small and smooth. She attached a miraculous medal to the centerpiece at some point.

An aside: My sister and I both received crystal rosaries from our grandmother when we had our first communions. The rosaries were identical. Two years ago, my sister sent me hers, because I am still a Catholic and she is not (but attends another Christian church). I also have a wonderful rosary that this same grandmother brought me from Israel – she was fortunate to go there when it was safer to do so.

And last, I just recently stayed at the home of a friend in Lima, Peru. As a thank you gift, I left a tiny rosary in a little seashell case – something I’d purchased for myself and take along when I travel. I just knew he would appreciate it, and I was very glad to have passed it along because I liked it so much myself.

Via la rosary!

Greetings~

One of my most treasured belongings is my deceased great grandmother’s rosary. I bought a beautiful rosary box from the Vatican Library Collection and keep it in there. It belongs in a place of honor.

That being said, I want mine burried with me unless someone in my family wants it. I’d rather have it in the ground with me rather than thrown away or mistreated. It’s a holy object, after all.

Peace,
Jen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back