What Do You Mean By Protestant?

  • Thread starter Thread starter bogeydogg
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
All I can say is that things have changed pretty radically in the Baptist church since I was a kid. In my day, they would never have thought of doing any kind of liturgy at all, let alone a Rite of Penance.
Most Baptist churches still wouldn’t. As I’m sure you know, Baptists vary widely among themselves!

But there is somewhat of a liturgical movement in certain sectors of most Protestant traditions.

D. H. Williams has done a lot to get Baptists to think about the need to take the early Church and Christian tradition seriously. But only a fairly small minority of Baptists are affected by this, of course. Hopefully it will “trickle down” more and more, but with regard to a lot of the more fundamentalist Baptists I’m not holding my breath!

Edwin
 
All I can say is that things have changed pretty radically in the Baptist church since I was a kid. In my day, they would never have thought of doing any kind of liturgy at all, let alone a Rite of Penance.
Well the Church I go to is unusual for Baptists. That is part of the reason I go.

God Bless
 
bogeydogg,

You mentioned wanting to go to RCIA. In addition, I would say that the two books you reallyshould read are “The Lamb’s Supper” by Scott Hahn and “The Biblical Basis for the Eucharist” by John Salza. Read these books slowly and carefully. Since you already know the Bible so well, these two books will help you understand what the Catholic Church actually teaches and WHY.

You had said in an earlier post that the Sacrifice of the Mass was among the most difficult doctrines for you. Once it is properly understood – which requires dealing with Old Testament prophesy, the Gospels, the Book of Hebrews, Pauline theology, and the Book of Revelation – it becomes one of the most amazingly powerful doctrines in all of Christianity. Eventually, you will understand intuitively how the Mass is the most powerful prayer to the Father because it IS the prayer of the High Priest of the New Covenant (Christ Jesus) who forever offers Himself (The Lamb of God) to the Father in the Heavenly Holy-of-Holies.

You mentioned that you cared less about “being right” than “being in the truth.” This is exactly the attitude we all need! I commend you for having it. Because you have it, I believe wholeheartedly that you’ll end up in the Catholic Chruch. It is the Truth. It is, quite simply, the only Church to whom Jesus promised – through Peter – that the gates of Hell would not prevail against it.

Take care, and I’ll be praying for you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top