What does everyone think?

  • Thread starter Thread starter childofmary1143
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

childofmary1143

Guest
While searching out pictures of St. Mary Magdalene for a religious calendar I came across an old Painting image of her at: abcgallery.com/T/titian/titian38.html

I didn’t like it but perhaps its because I was focused on a good image for a Calendar.

Comments anyone…
 
While searching out pictures of St. Mary Magdalene for a religious calendar I came across an old Painting image of her at: abcgallery.com/T/titian/titian38.html

I didn’t like it but perhaps its because I was focused on a good image for a Calendar.

Comments anyone…
The Church has held that MM was a “bad” person, even a prostitute (there are some changed opinions recently, but some people are also trying to reform Judas’ image, so I do not take too much stock n this). This is just an expression of a sinner (sexual sinner, thus the sensuality) converted and turning away from sin to God. Whether the characterization of MM is wrong or right, the image still conveys the message of salvation for sinners.

Mark Wyatt
www.veritas-catholic.blogspot.com
 
Look at the artist, the time, and the context. Eve is very often portrayed with bared breasts. There are also, I believe, paintings of naked cherubs. . .and breastfeeding mothers (with at least one breast visible), naked men, etc. which are works of classic sacred art. It isn’t the sexual characteristic that is the focus, but the context. . .a non-nursing mother female with bared breasts (a phrase which invokes penance and sorrow) shows sin, most often repented sin. A naked man is ‘naked to his God’, reflecting either one who has thrown aside the garment of righteousness (a sinner) or one who has cast aside all worldly and material things (a saint).
 
I think the images long hair is prolly derived from Luke’s unnamed sinner who evidently had hair long enough to wipe Christ’s feet. She seems to be looking up at Christ (perhaps) in a penitent manner and the jar of oil is next to her. All in all I would say it is a classic depiction of the Magdelene for this period in history.
 
Pretty, but a bit explicit. I think it depends on what use your calendar will be put to. Consider whether it is appropriate for your audience.
 
Pretty, but a bit explicit. I think it depends on what use your calendar will be put to. Consider whether it is appropriate for your audience.
I agree. In this day and age, most people would not view that painting in the correct context. I wouldn’t want my teenage boys to have a calendar with that painting in it regardless of the historical artistic context. I’m afraid that month would be up for the entire year. 😃
 
Magdalenes were a popular subject back in the day, but there were some of them that weren’t painted for purely devotional purposes, yes. 🙂

I think the placement of the long hair is awfully convenient – almost impossible unless done on purpose, in fact. The breasts are not particularly well-proportioned to the woman’s body. And the artist has obviously decided that it will be cold in the studio for non-devotional reasons. But the flesh and hair tones are nice, and the facial expression of prayer.
 
The Church has held that MM was a “bad” person, even a prostitute (there are some changed opinions recently, but some people are also trying to reform Judas’ image, so I do not take too much stock n this). This is just an expression of a sinner (sexual sinner, thus the sensuality) converted and turning away from sin to God. Whether the characterization of MM is wrong or right, the image still conveys the message of salvation for sinners.

Mark Wyatt
www.veritas-catholic.blogspot.com
There is no indication in the Gospels of what her sin was – the imputation that she was a prostitue came much later. Some sources dispue whether she is even the “sinner” mentioned in Luke but that is the Catholic view. See this article in the Catholic Encyclopedia.
 
There is no indication in the Gospels of what her sin was – the imputation that she was a prostitue came much later. Some sources dispue whether she is even the “sinner” mentioned in Luke but that is the Catholic view. See this article in the Catholic Encyclopedia.
The online Catholic encyclopedia is useful for doctrine and dogma, which do not change, it’s true. But, for things like this it is out of date. The Catholic Church has never made a definitive statement about Mary Magdalene’s life–for the very reason that we don’t know enough about her to do so.

Besides, in former times, people were more concerned with teaching lessons about the saints than historical accuracy. Only in modern times have we become infatuated with “facts,” as if they were the end all and be all of everything, Protestant and Catholic alike, because that is the cultural context in which we all live. 😉
 
Btw, the reason for the strategic long hair was a common legend about St. Mary Magdalene’s later life. She was supposed to have become a hermit, and as desert hermits sometimes did, been poor and done rugged penance to the point of running around nekkid, clothed only in her hair. (Either on purpose or after her clothes wore out, or because her hair grew superlong miraculously to save her embarrassment; I forget the details.) This was a bit more rugged in her case, as she was supposed to have moved to the mountains of Southern France, along with Ss. Martha and Lazarus. (Not impossible, since the Romans were in Southern France from way back, and the Christian communities showed up there very early; but anyway, that’s the legend. And yes, it’s all conflated. But that’s the legend.)

Magdalenes portrayed as naked old hermit women clothed only in their hair are usually a lot more focused on the penitence and hard work of being a hermit than the younger naked Magdalene portraits are. But of course, it’s possible that the younger Magdalenes made spirituality a bit more attractive, so I won’t snark too much. 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top