What happens if someone rules they haven’t done a Mortal sin but they actually did?

  • Thread starter Thread starter LebaneseCatbolic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LebaneseCatbolic

Guest
What would happen if somebody did a grave sin, but don’t know if they had full and deliberate consent, and therefore they rule they haven’t committed a mortal sin but they actually did. Especially if they were scrupulous, as they say not to confess doubtful sins. Is it possible that the scruples are from God saying that he was wrong, or are they just an annoying distraction?
 
Last edited:
This person should speak with their Priest because they’re Scrupulous.
 
Thank you for your help. The problem is that is not really possible for the person. He doesn’t have easy access to a priesr or confessor.
 
Get him to wear a brown scapular
It will help him along his spiritual journey here in this world. Thanks to Our Lady’s promises it will also keep him safe from temporal harm so he can reach a confessor before it’s too late.

Most importantly, pray for him.
 
Thank you. I am going to say now, that person was me. I thank you very dearly for putting up with me. I can not stress it enough, I thank you. May God bless you.
 
Thank you. I am going to say now, that person was me.
To be honest, I knew it was. And all is okay friend. It can be hard to open up to people, especially strangers. I know God will take care of you in the long run. Hopefully you are able to see a confessor as soon as you can.

God love you!
 
40.png
FrancisFan43:
No harm in playing it safe and confessing said sin.
Seriously? How was this inappropriate?
The standard procedure on the board for handling questions from scrupulous posters is to refuse to give any advice to prevent further assurance-seeking on the board and to flag the OP.
 
I have flagged the OP; I can’t say if anybody else has.

Different types of flags have different effects. Yours was probably flagged for being inappropriate, which automatically hides a post if the flagger is a Regular or enough people flag it. The OP’s flag is in the “other” category, which requires moderation.
 
So the first responder tells him to talk to his priest, and thats fine.

I tell him to talk to a priest and thats not fine?

Im not seeing any consistency here.
@Cruciferi said to talk to the priest; you said to Confess. These are different things; the point of getting the person to talk to his priest is to get help with conscience formation, i.e. learning what needs to be confessed and what doesn’t. “When in doubt, confess” is bad advice to give to a scrupulous person, because they’re always in doubt.
 
Guys, please stop arguing. I was flagged, and there, done. Please just let this thread die. I thank all who replied. I don’t like to see fighting, especially on a site like this.
 
It might be easier, but it isn’t necessarily more helpful. Speaking as someone who has dealt with anxiety myself, I can tell you that seeking out advice online can just further the cycle of reassurance seeking. Offline help from those qualified to give it, whether it is spiritual or psychological, is far better.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top