What if Jesus just prayed to the Father

• Thread starter Thread starter RobedWithLight
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RobedWithLight

for the forgiveness of mankind, instead of having to die on the Cross at Calvary?

Would it have been sufficient for the redemption of the human race?

St. Alphonsus Liguori seems to think so. A simple prayer from Christ would have been enough to make amends for the sin of man.

Do you agree?

Gerry 🙂

I should have used if, not is. I’m very sorry for the typo. :o

I would re-emphasize the question:** What IF Jesus just prayed to the Father for the forgiveness of mankind, instead of having to suffer and die on the Cross?**

**Is a simple prayer from Jesus to the Father enough to assure man’s redemption? **
Gerry 🙂

The least action on the part of Our Lord would have been redemptive. He chose death on a cross to emphasize the gravity of sin, so we would see it, so it would break through our indifferent hearts.

For as the heavens are exalted above the earth, so are my ways exalted above your ways, and my thoughts above your thoughts. *

Surely, it would have been enough. Heck, God could have just waved his hand and said “All your sins are forgiven, you are all redeemed…” However, would this method have a big impact compared to dying on the cross?

Also remember that God had everything figured out from the beginning. Jesus had to die on the cross.

As others have mentioned, Jesus is Divine, he could have done whatever he wanted. However, remember also that in Christ, the Old Testament prophecies were fulfilled. As Isaiah states in Chapter 53:
3] He was despised and rejected by men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief; and as one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not. 4] Surely he has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted. 5] But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that made us whole, and with his stripes we are healed. 6] All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all. 7] He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth; like a lamb that is led to the slaughter, and like a sheep that before its shearers is dumb, so he opened not his mouth. 8] By oppression and judgment he was taken away; and as for his generation, who considered that he was cut off out of the land of the living, stricken for the transgression of my people? 9] And they made his grave with the wicked and with a rich man in his death, although he had done no violence, and there was no deceit in his mouth. 10] Yet it was the will of the LORD to bruise him; he has put him to grief; when he makes himself an offering for sin, he shall see his offspring, he shall prolong his days; the will of the LORD shall prosper in his hand (RSV)
The Passion was God’s plan from the beginning. It couldn’t have happened any other way.

God was following His own Laws on this one. It’s the Law that blood must be shed for the forgiveness of sins. This is called sacrifice. The most common sacrifice was a lamb, and the lamb was to be clean and unblemished. However, all of this sacrificing was only a shadow of what was to come. God became man, and was unblemished in the most extreme way possible; He was sinless. He then allowed Himself to be sacrificed, sacrificed for the sins of all. It wouldn’t make sense for Jesus to pray for the forgiveness of our sins. Jesus is God, and God follows His Own Law. It can’t be any other way, for God is the Law.

40.png
csr:
The least action on the part of Our Lord would have been redemptive. He chose death on a cross to emphasize the gravity of sin, so we would see it, so it would break through our indifferent hearts.

For as the heavens are exalted above the earth, so are my ways exalted above your ways, and my thoughts above your thoughts. *
I agree with all the points stated above.

The passion and death of Jesus thus isn’t really necessary. A very simple prayer to His Father, the smallest action on Christ’s part, would have been more than enough, being in itself of infinite merit, because Jesus Himself, being utterly sinless and likewise divine, also has infinite merit. His Death was, and I do believe it to be so, was intended to show us that He would be willing to do anything, including suffer such an excruciating death, to show us His immeasurable love.

Gerry 🙂

Can our all Powerful God lie?

NAB GENESIS 2:18

The LORD God gave man this order: "You are free to eat from any of the trees of the garden except the tree of knowledge of good and bad. From that tree you shall not eat; the moment you eat from it you are surely doomed to die.

By God’s Powerful Word the cosmos came into existance. Also by God’s Powerful Word we are all condemned to death through sin.

Jesus is our Savior because He fulfilled God’s Powerful Word by dying in our place. God cannot lie and this is why we need our Lord God and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Peace in Christ,
Steven Merten
www.ILOVEYOUGOD.com

well, in the world that He created, the penalty of sin had to be paid. Christ paid that penalty for us - death - so that we might live.

now, if can be argued that the reason Jesus had to die on the cross is because the world was created the way it was. i mean, if God created a world in which the penalty for sin was to sit in the corner for an hour, then Jesus wouldn’t have had to die. if the prophecies from the OT had said that the messiah would wave His magic wand and our sins would be removed, that would be what happened.

so i think it comes to this - Jesus died on the cross to show us how much God loves us.

40.png
RobedWithLight:
I agree with all the points stated above.

The passion and death of Jesus thus isn’t really necessary. A very simple prayer to His Father, the smallest action on Christ’s part, would have been more than enough, being in itself of infinite merit, because Jesus Himself, being utterly sinless and likewise divine, also has infinite merit. His Death was, and I do believe it to be so, was intended to show us that He would be willing to do anything, including suffer such an excruciating death, to show us His immeasurable love.

Gerry 🙂
Maybe our Heavenly Father got sick and tired of the animal sacrafices offered up to Him. Maybe that action became meaningless in Gods eyes. The gates of heaven could only be open by the ultimate sacrafice of our Lord Jesus Christ.Satan become defeated by the blood of our Lord. What great Love the Father has for us. 👍

I recommend reading the article “Did Christ Have to Suffer to Save Us?” in This Rock. Sorry, I don’t remember which issue it was in, but I believe it is online on the back issues section. The article was an excellent explanation of why Christ suffered if God could have found another way to save us.

sure God could have revoked the burden of sin in an instant. but he probably thought it would make more of an impact if he took that burden upon himself and showed us the true horror of sin.

40.png
Brain:
sure God could have revoked the burden of sin in an instant. but he probably thought it would make more of an impact if he took that burden upon himself and showed us the true horror of sin.
God’s omnipotence may in fact allow Him to do exactly that, although it suits His purposes more if the Son would take up the cross instead.

Gerry 🙂

I noticed that in my original post, the “is” has been replaced by “if”. Whoever corrected the typo, to him/her I give my thanks.

Gerry 🙂

Sorry, I know I’m picking up this thread a bit late, but I feel I have a point to make so…

Remember, Christ prayed from the cross, “Forgive them, Father, for they know not what they do.”

It begs the question, what effect does a prayer to forgive someone else have? Jesus obviously thought it was worth the effort, and if anyone’s prayers count…

Without the Blood there would not have been any sacrafice. Its the Blood that saves. 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back