What is a "Christian"?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ribozyme
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ribozyme

Guest
I do not know what exactly a Christian is. For example, people who are atheists such as Luboš Motl and Oriana Fallaci claim they are “Christians”. Does one have to believe in a God in order to be Christian? I cannot imagine who one can both be a “Christian” and an atheist. BTW, could “Christian atheists” go to RCIA and be accepted by the Church?

Motl says that “Christian” is an adjective in “Christian atheist” and it does not imply he is a “Christian” in the usual sense.

Well, I think Protestants use their own definition of “Christian” to exclude Catholics. Are Unitarians considered “Christians”?

I think the best definition is one who believes in the Nicene Creed and that will make “Christian atheism” an absurdity.
 
From LUMEN GENTIUM, #15
  1. The Church recognizes that in many ways she is linked with those who, being baptized, are honored with the name of Christian, though they do not profess the faith in its entirety or do not preserve unity of communion with the successor of Peter. (14*) For there are many who honor Sacred Scripture, taking it as a norm of belief and a pattern of life, and who show a sincere zeal. They lovingly believe in God the Father Almighty and in Christ, the Son of God and Saviour. (15*) They are consecrated by baptism, in which they are united with Christ. They also recognize and accept other sacraments within their own Churches or ecclesiastical communities. Many of them rejoice in the episcopate, celebrate the Holy Eucharist and cultivate devotion toward the Virgin Mother of God.(16*) They also share with us in prayer and other spiritual benefits. Likewise we can say that in some real way they are joined with us in the Holy Spirit, for to them too He gives His gifts and graces whereby He is operative among them with His sanctifying power. Some indeed He has strengthened to the extent of the shedding of their blood. In all of Christ’s disciples the Spirit arouses the desire to be peacefully united, in the manner determined by Christ, as one flock under one shepherd, and He prompts them to pursue this end. (17*) Mother Church never ceases to pray, hope and work that this may come about. She exhorts her children to purification and renewal so that the sign of Christ may shine more brightly over the face of the earth.
Hope that helps 🙂
 
I do not know what exactly a Christian is. For example, people who are atheists such as Luboš Motl and Oriana Fallaci claim they are “Christians”.
“Christian” is jsut a word. Like all words it can be used wrongly, for instnace as a synonym for “good person”, or it can be used perversely to make an ideological point.

However there are also many marginal groups, like Jehovah’s Witnesses, Unitarians, Quakers, who have some of the characteristics of core Christians but not all of them. If they wish to describe themselves as “Christian” we shouldn’t fuss.

What is important theologically is the Church. Jesus founded an institution with members, not a school of philosophy with adherents.
 
I do not know what exactly a Christian is. For example, people who are atheists such as Luboš Motl and Oriana Fallaci claim they are “Christians”. Does one have to believe in a God in order to be Christian? I cannot imagine who one can both be a “Christian” and an atheist. BTW, could “Christian atheists” go to RCIA and be accepted by the Church?

Motl says that “Christian” is an adjective in “Christian atheist” and it does not imply he is a “Christian” in the usual sense.

Well, I think Protestants use their own definition of “Christian” to exclude Catholics. Are Unitarians considered “Christians”?

I think the best definition is one who believes in the Nicene Creed and that will make “Christian atheism” an absurdity.
Hi,
A Christian is simply someone who follows Christ because they have accepted Him as there Savior. No hidden meaning or agenda. Anyone, Anywhere and in any church can be a Christian if they believe and follow Christ.👍 😃

The first time it is mentioned in the bible(ACTS) that is who it was describing–people who believesd and followed Christ.👍
 
I believe the best definition of a Christian is a baptized person.

Those who fall away from the faith never lose their seal of baptism, even though they lose the state of grace. They are apostate Christians, but still Christians.

Most Protestants would define a Christian as a person who accepts Christ as Savior, so when speaking with Protestants, I often use the phrase “practicing Christian,” or “committed Christian,” to avoid confusion.
 
I like this definition, as I think this is what a “true” Christian is:

“a person who exemplifies in his or her life the teachings of Christ” - Dictionary.com

I don’t like saying that baptized people are necessarily Christian, nor Catholic. Under that definition, Hitler was a Christian and a Catholic. Secondly, you would have to say that many (most) Christians go to hell, which just doesn’t jive with normal understanding and common definition of the word “Christian.”
 
I believe the best definition of a Christian is a baptized person.

Those who fall away from the faith never lose their seal of baptism, even though they lose the state of grace. They are apostate Christians, but still Christians.

Most Protestants would define a Christian as a person who accepts Christ as Savior, so when speaking with Protestants, I often use the phrase “practicing Christian,” or “committed Christian,” to avoid confusion.
Well, if I adopt your definition, then I should count myself as a “Christian atheist” much like Luboš Motl and Oriana Fallaci.
 
Hi,
A Christian is simply someone who follows Christ because they have accepted Him as there Savior. No hidden meaning or agenda. Anyone, Anywhere and in any church can be a Christian if they believe and follow Christ.👍 😃

The first time it is mentioned in the bible(ACTS) that is who it was describing–people who believesd and followed Christ.👍
Yep, I’d say that sounds pretty accurate. 👍
 
Well, if I adopt your definition, then I should count myself as a “Christian atheist” much like Luboš Motl and Oriana Fallaci.
I would say a Christian is one who accepts Christ’s teachings and follows them. Since His central teaching was that He is God, then I don’t see how there could be “Christian atheists.”
 
I would say a Christian is one who accepts Christ’s teachings and follows them. Since His central teaching was that He is God, then I don’t see how there could be “Christian atheists.”
I agree with your definition as the term “Christian atheist” confuses me.
 
Christian atheists" go to RCIA and be accepted by the Church?
Motl says that “Christian” is an adjective in “Christian atheist” and it does not imply he is a “Christian” in the usual sense.
Christian is an adjective if it precedes a noun such as Christian person, Christian family. But Christian is also a noun since it is the name of a religion, It is a shortened form of Christianity.

Now if you are saying that an atheist is good then you say ‘he is good’ or ‘Good Athiest’ but you cannot say Christian Atheist as the two are mutually exclusive and therefore a contradiction

They just cannot co-exist 👍 .
 
Official Biblical Definition.

G5546
Χριστιανός
Christianos
khris-tee-an-os’
From G5547; a Christian, that is, follower of Christ: - Christian.

I can be a follower of Christ but not neccessarily believe in everything he taught…

Christian is general term in which some try to apply specificness to it.
 
The 3 verses that use the term:
Luke wrote: Act 11:26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.
Luike also wrote: Act 26:28 Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.
Petros wrote: 1Pe 4:16 Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.
Not much in the Bible to define what a Christian is or was…

I guess you would have to fall back on what a Disciple is?

G3101
μαθητής
mathētēs
math-ay-tes’
From G3129; a learner, that is, pupil: - disciple.

nothing more than a student…
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top