What is a "closet catholic?"

• Thread starter Thread starter Almost_Catholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Almost_Catholic

I read in another thread where someone mentioned another as being a “closet catholic”, what is that?

I am a Presbyterian who just wrote a letter of resignation from our Church telling the pastor of my intentions to become a Catholic. I guess that my make me a closet version. I guess I need to get out of the closet.

I would also be interested in a definition for “closet Catholic”. I know what a “cafeteria Catholic” is, since many on this forum would consider me one, but the “closet” term is one that I’m unfamiliar with. Please enlighten us, someone…

Peace!

A closet Catholic is a non-Catholic who thinks like a Catholic. They usually are people who should convert–come out of the closet so to speak.

40.png
Genesis315:
A closet Catholic is a non-Catholic who thinks like a Catholic. They usually are people who should convert–come out of the closet so to speak.
Thank ye kindly!

Peace.

The term is sometimes used as a pejorative by Protestants when one of their members thinks and acts with a Catholic view.

40.png
chicago:
The term is sometimes used as a pejorative by Protestants when one of their members thinks and acts with a Catholic view.
It was me who used the term and it was not meant to be used in a bad manner:D Certain beautiful non-Catholics here already have devotions to saints and ask them to pray for them,but haven’t made the big leap yet,in fact I do not know if they recognize the call.But I meant it as a compliment.😉

Glad to hear. Often it is used by people who frown upon religion or the Church, though.

40.png
Genesis315:
I know someone who’s a Methodist but his thinking is almost Catholic. I say almost, because he still has a few issues to contend with, but on the whole he leans closer to being Catholic.

A “closet Catholic” , in my opinion, would be someone who is or wants to be Catholic, however is afraid to tell his or her relatives, friends, etc. for fear of rebuke. My step-daughter-in-law called herself a “closet christian” to her friends because, sadly, my step-son would not allow religion of any kind in their home. She attended bible study, went to church when she could without him knowing.

I use the “past tense” because she died very suddenly a few months ago. Sadly, her husband asked that the word “God” not be used in her funeral service. He finally caved in when he was bombarded by her friends (and a few relatives) and allowed her minister to give a homily. He did not “sugar coat” what he knew about this poor girl, but let everyone know that she was indeed a good “christian”.

Love and peace

G.K. Chesterton, for example, was a closet Catholic. For many years he thought and wrote like a Catholic, though he was Anglican. Finally, in 1922, he converted, about 14 years before his death.

Some people think C.S. Lewis was a closet Catholic because of his commonsense orthodoxy. He never crossed over in his lifetime, but many suspect that if he had lived to our time, he most definitely would have.

Almost Catholic:
I read in another thread where someone mentioned another as being a “closet catholic”, what is that?

I am a Presbyterian who just wrote a letter of resignation from our Church telling the pastor of my intentions to become a Catholic. I guess that my make me a closet version. I guess I need to get out of the closet.
Welcome home. I’ve never heard of a “clothset catholic”. However, cafeteria catholic is a common term. Maybe that’s what you heard.

God Bless.

I think it especially refers to the numbers of Anglican High Church types and maybe Lutherans who really want or wanted to convert because their views were so similar anyway. There were many throughout history, like G.K. Chesterton as someone said above.

It’s a natural way to think–if you don’t have a problem with the Magisterium, why cling to some Johnny-come-lately denomination 😉 just because of some historical flap between Henry VIII or Luther and Rome?

I chose my faith after doing some study of the Reformation in college. My attitude became, ok we got that out of our system why keep harping on it? And I don’t think I could ever subscribe to justification by faith alone, which is probably the biggest sticking point for thoughtful Protestants.

I was a closet Catholic. I was away from the Catholic church for some years and was very active in a large protestant church down the street (in a small town). I was being drawn back to the Catholic church for some time and finally I stopped. When I parked the car and walked across the street I was so affraid that someone that I knew would drive by and see me. For awhile it took some courage to walk into the Catholic church. That may sound odd but I worked for the pastor and was very active in the church down the street. I used to keep my Catholic books out of site in my home because I didn’t want to explain why I had them. God works with us where we are and some of us came out of the closet with fear and trembling. Gradually I relaxed and now I proudly live my Catholic faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back