What is a "metanomic conversion"?

• Thread starter Thread starter Kevin_Walker
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is everybody. It’s a type of philosophy based on moral values I believe. I have not had any philosophy since the 70s. Can’t even remember if I spelled it right.

We could use some of that in your home state and my adopted home state.

Deacon Tony

Hi,

I didn’t find Metanomic Conversion, but perhaps because it’s redundant. Here’s what I found in the Catholic Encyclopedia, Broderick, 1976

Metanoia - From the Greek, this word means “conversion.” In the modern thinking and teaching of the Church this term has come to mean the relationship of the Christian community within the Church as experienced by individuals. The first “conversion” is the fundamental gift that one receives in baptism; if this gift is lost through sin, another “conversion” (or return tot he ecclesial community) is gained and makes the individual more vigorous in faith through the Sacrament of Penance. Thus metanoia means the exercise of the virtue of penance whereby the individual Christian completes the suffering of Christ, completing the unity of the Body of Christ and lives not for himself but God in faith.

The Modern Catholic Dictionary, by John A. Hardon, S.J., 1999, defines it like this:

Metanoia. Literally repentance or penance. The term is regularly used in Greek New Testament, especially in the Gospels and the preaching of the Apostles. Repentance is shown by faith, baptism, confession of sins, and producing fruits worthy of penance. It means a change of mind from sin to the practice of virtue. As conversion, it is fundamental to the teaching of Christ, was the first thing demanded by Peter on the Pentacost, and is considered essential to the pursuit of Christian perfection. (Etym. Greek metanoein, to change one’s mind, repent, be converted, from meta- + noein, to perceive, think, akin to Greek noos, nous, mind.)

I searched for it on New Advent, but found nothing.

CARose

Thanks guys.

Thomas Merton used the term ‘metanomia’ in a short paragraph; and at a Catholic class at the St. Anthony Shrine, the instruction mentioned a ‘metanomic conversion’.

I was already familiar with the concept, but I heard these words out of context and it confused me (as usual).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back