what is a spirtual director?

• Thread starter Thread starter jeanine
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeanine

i have renewed my faith recently and as a result i have felt the need to attend mass pretty much on a daily basis. i have also become close to our parish director of pastorial services, who happens to be a nun. sister asked a woman to approach me last week to talk w/ me. her title was ‘spiritual director’. she asked me if i would be interested in meeting w/ her on a monthly basis. i never heard this term before, and i really dont know what our meetings would be about. she was trying to explain one day last week after morning mass but my kids were getting a little loud so i had to get out of there so she gave me her card. i want to call this person but i do not want to insult her because she did not have my full attention.

does anyone know what this is? since she has business cards made up, is this a service that one pays for? she said she has a degree in spirituality…i just never heard of this…help???

jeanine

Hi Jeanine,

This morning, you wrote:
i have renewed my faith recently and as a result i have felt the need to attend mass pretty much on a daily basis. i have also become close to our parish director of pastorial services, who happens to be a nun. sister asked a woman to approach me last week to talk w/ me. her title was ‘spiritual director’. she asked me if i would be interested in meeting w/ her on a monthly basis. i never heard this term before, and i really dont know what our meetings would be about. she was trying to explain one day last week after morning mass but my kids were getting a little loud so i had to get out of there so she gave me her card. i want to call this person but i do not want to insult her because she did not have my full attention.
does anyone know what this is? since she has business cards made up, is this a service that one pays for? she said she has a degree in spirituality…i just never heard of this…help???
It appears that Sister provided you with a good service when she referred you to a spiritual director. I am completing my third (and final) year of training to be certified as a spiritual director. In my parish, we are called “spiritual companions,” because that is what we essentially do. We meet regularly with people like you to listen to the various aspects of your spiritual journey and try to discern how the Holy Spirit is working in your life.

Some directors charge a nominal fee, while others do not. Please do not be concerned about first impressions with a spiritual director. I encourage you to avail yourself of this service which may truly be a gift from our Lord to assist you on your journey.

And, Jeanine, welcome back to the spiritual journey of going deeper into the faith, of your willingness to wade out into deeper water. The rewards are unbelievably wonderful!

Blessings to you,
Carolyn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back