What is Lectio Divina ? A great way to pray in the presence of the Eucharist!

• Thread starter Thread starter whosebob
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

whosebob

Traditional Lectio Divina has become over the past year a favorite and fruitful method for me to read Scripture, meditate, pray, and (if it is God’s wills) to contemplate the mysteries of God.

If you would like to learn about Lectio and how to practice this spiritual exercise, please read the following essay that I’ve made available on my personal website . . .

The Practice of Lectio Divina .
For download options in “rft” and “pdf” formats, please visit my homepage .

For the choice of text, I prefer to use the Gospel reading for the day (or one of the options if there is more than one possibility) from the Roman Missal (current rite). That way I’m meditating in unison, sort of, with the whole Church.

I find Lectio to be especially fruitful while making a holy hour before the Blessed Sacrament reserved in the Tabernacle or exposed in a monstrance in an adoration chapel. During the meditation and prayer, and during pauses while reading, it is comforting to gaze upon our Lord bodily present, but hidden under the appearance of bread.

By the way, I didn’t write the essay, and I’m not sure who did – it appears to be by an anonymous author. If any forum reader knows who wrote it, pleae let me know so that I can take steps to insure I’m not violating copyright law. Thanks.

In the Hearts of Jesus and Mary.

40.png
whosebob:
I find Lectio to be especially fruitful while making a holy hour before the Blessed Sacrament reserved in the Tabernacle or exposed in a monstrance in an adoration chapel. During the meditation and prayer, and during pauses while reading, it is comforting to gaze upon our Lord bodily present, but hidden under the appearance of bread.
Dear whosebob,

I completely agree with you. Lectio is a great way to spend a Holy Hour. Another article you might want to see on Lectio is at contemplativeoutreach.org/lectio.htm

Contemplative Outreach holds several weekly meetings in Wichita for Centering Prayer and Lectio. If you’re interested you can click on the “Contacts/Events” link on the page referenced above.

Personally I wish more Catholics could hear about forms of contemplative prayer and their benefits. In case you haven’t seen it, the CCC has a beautiful section on forms of prayer: vocal, meditative, and contemplative at paragraphs 2700-2719.
usccb.org/catechism/text/pt4sect1chpt3.htm#art1

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back