What is Mary seat of Wisdom mean?

• Thread starter Thread starter dizzy_dave
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am no theologian, but I always envisioned a toddler Jesus sitting on Mary’s lap. So it technically means Mary, Seat of Wisdom (God), Kind of like when we say Mary, mother of God we are not saying she is a equal to Jesus–but that she is His mother. Mary not wisdom, Wisdom sat on her lap so she is Wisdom’s seat.

That is only my understanding though, so I may be wrong.

It actually has a lot to do with Sirach and a philosophical look at Wisdom, which in greek philosophy is embodied as LOGOS, or thought of God (or Wisdom of God). The LOGOS became Christ, therefore Christ was Wisdom/Thought of God. He did sit upon her lap, but that isn’t why she is referred to as the seat.

Mary can be called the “Seat of Wisdom” because wisdom became incarnate in her son Jesus whom she carried in her womb. And she herself possessed and practiced true wisdom in the highest degree. - americancatholic.org/Messenger/Oct1997/Wiseman.asp

This is the explanation of how Sirach plays a part.
Mary is the person who through her most intimate relationship is totally receptive to the Wisdom of God so that the Litany of Loreto can call her rightfully Seat of Wisdom.*
Follow this link to read the whole thing… udayton.edu/mary/questions/yq2/yq281.html

Have fun, hope this helps.

40.png
beckyann2597:
I am no theologian, but I always envisioned a toddler Jesus sitting on Mary’s lap. So it technically means Mary, Seat of Wisdom (God), Kind of like when we say Mary, mother of God we are not saying she is a equal to Jesus–but that she is His mother. Mary not wisdom, Wisdom sat on her lap so she is Wisdom’s seat.

That is only my understanding though, so I may be wrong.

Exactly what I thought 🙂 - well said​

It actually has a lot to do with Sirach and a philosophical look at Wisdom, which in greek philosophy is embodied as LOGOS, or thought of God (or Wisdom of God). The LOGOS became Christ, therefore Christ was Wisdom/Thought of God. He did sit upon her lap, but that isn’t why she is referred to as the seat.
If Wisdom is seen as a embodiment of the Logos which is Christ why is it spoken of in feminine terms in other places in the Bible? This has confused me.

If Wisdom is seen as a embodiment of the Logos which is Christ why is it spoken of in feminine terms in other places in the Bible? This has confused me.
It has also confused me. I know that SOPHIA the greek word for Wisdom was an early name for the Holy Spirit, and yes, it is feminine. Of course we must understand that greek is made up of masculine and feminie nouns while english is not. Would have they changed the basic rules of the language just to refer to Wisdom as masculine? Did they need to? Does that matter?

Perhaps, since Christ is LOGOS, which is the Thought of God, then that itself embodies Wisdom. As well as all other parts of the mental process that is “Thought.”

That’s the best explanation I can give for it, I think I might have even convinced myself 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back