What is meant by the Interior Life?

• Thread starter Thread starter dizzy_dave
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dizzy_dave

What is meant when people say the interior life? as in growing in it.

This is what CS Lewis says:

“I* never had the experience of looking for God, it was the other way around.He was the hunter(or so it seemed to me)and I was the deer. he stalked me like a redskin, took unerring aim, and fired…it is significant in that this long evaded encounter happened at a time when I was making a serious effort to obey my conscience*.”

CS Lewis goes on to say that one of the results of this-obeying the conscience that is, is it brings your “picture of yourself down to something nearer life size”, he found that his ordinary self was only a “facade” and you realise, if you are of a certain kind of person you will realise that what lies behind one kind of facade “lies ultimately behind the other, …that I the ordinary, conscious I, am continious with the unknown depth. After that you may come to believe that the voice which speaks in your conscience, and in some of your intensest joys, which is sometimes so obstinately silent,sometimes so easily silenced,is in fact the closest contact you have with the mystery,and therefore…to be trusted, obeyed, feared, and desired more then all other things…”
This is one clear example of an 'Interior life"

I’d say that the interior life is the relationship we have with the Triune God. When we pray, when we fall against Christ in happiness, pain, grief…whenever we seek God, that is part of our interior life. It’s the life that is not shown to others. It’s purly between you and God.
To be honest, it is my favorite place to be. If I could, I’d never leave my interior life! I’d dwell there constantly!
I think too that that is what the saints refer to the place that they never leave- St. Faustina mensions this a lot.

Just my thoughts though…

Jade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back