What is my responcibility

• Thread starter Thread starter jillisamarie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jillisamarie

I work with mentally retarded/downs syndrome people. One lady with downs syndrome asked to goto chuch with me and then wanted to become a member. I have been trying to teach her. When we do our lessons she acts bored sleepy and answers questions with a protestant answer. I do not think she realized that it wasnt going to be justa matter of learning a few scripture interpretations and that catholic means working out our salvation and that salvation is not a once saved always saved promice. I thought to prepare her for her first confession, she does not believe sin separates us from heaven, and I am troubled by her lack of honesty of sins to be confessed. I really do not feel ready to be responsible for bringing this lady into the church, when I do not feel she will be committed to it and may desire to go back later to protestant church. I have grade school books Im teaching her from, but find that lack of interest in learning the truths of catholic faith, or possibly that she is unable to learn. What should I do? Sincerely, Jill

could not answer without knowing her level of development regarding learning in general. Her religious education should be based on the pace of learning she is used to for other topics, not to fit a “one size fits all” RCIA class. In any case, if she is not Catholic she will still participate in RCIA, and the director, pastor, in consultation with her current teachers or parents, should design an individual program that fits in with her abilities and interest. Since you know and work with her, your (name removed by moderator)ut will be invaluable. You can teach knowledge and facts and doctrine, but you cannot teach faith, you can only transmit your own faith.

the priest should be the one to interview her and determine if she is at a level of development where she is capable of sinning, that is, capable of fully knowing and understanding the serious nature of a wrong action, and capable of giving full consent. that is not the job of the teacher or the caretaker. For instance, a Downs syndrome child who does not have the reasoning capability of the average 7 or 8 year old child has not reached the “age of reason” no matter what their chronological age.

I suggest arranging an interview with the RCIA director or pastor who will want to talk to her, determine her level of interest in learning more about the faith, and deciding how best to teach her if she chooses to continue. thank you for your role in evangelizing and witnessing with this lovely woman.

As a former special education teacher, this is good advice 😃 . Thanks for responding, puzzleannie 👍
40.png
puzzleannie:
could not answer without knowing her level of development regarding learning in general. Her religious education should be based on the pace of learning she is used to for other topics, not to fit a “one size fits all” RCIA class. In any case, if she is not Catholic she will still participate in RCIA, and the director, pastor, in consultation with her current teachers or parents, should design an individual program that fits in with her abilities and interest. Since you know and work with her, your (name removed by moderator)ut will be invaluable. You can teach knowledge and facts and doctrine, but you cannot teach faith, you can only transmit your own faith.

the priest should be the one to interview her and determine if she is at a level of development where she is capable of sinning, that is, capable of fully knowing and understanding the serious nature of a wrong action, and capable of giving full consent. that is not the job of the teacher or the caretaker. For instance, a Downs syndrome child who does not have the reasoning capability of the average 7 or 8 year old child has not reached the “age of reason” no matter what their chronological age.

I suggest arranging an interview with the RCIA director or pastor who will want to talk to her, determine her level of interest in learning more about the faith, and deciding how best to teach her if she chooses to continue. thank you for your role in evangelizing and witnessing with this lovely woman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back