What is sanctity? How do you get it?

• Thread starter Thread starter John_Russell_Jr
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John_Russell_Jr

1. I am wondering what your opinion on how to become a Saint is.
  2. What is a Saint in your opinion?
  3. Do you believe you should try to become a Saint?
  4. Have you known anyone you believe to be a Saint?

John Russell Jr said:

Avoid all grave sin; build virtue which roots out venial sin. This involves a heavy sacramental and prayer life, as well.
  1. What is a Saint in your opinion?
One who has attained a state of perfection through God’s grace and by acting on that grace.
  1. Do you believe you should try to become a Saint?
We are all called to be saints. It is not for special people.
  1. Have you known anyone you believe to be a Saint?
I am in a parish with many who have attained very high levels of virtue. But, it is led by priests, who themselves have high levels of virtue. Sacramental life is very robust, in particular confession where many go weekly to work on venial matters. The priests foster this and take the time to work with us. Has anyone reached pure perfection? I cannot say. However, I believe the world over there are saints that die unnoticed by the general population. It could be the grungy-looking old man on a park bench or the less known person in the pew next to us.

Thanks for your (name removed by moderator)ut. Sounds like you have been truly blessed with a great parish.http://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/icons/icon14.gif
40.png
Lux_et_veritas:
Avoid all grave sin; build virtue which roots out venial sin. This involves a heavy sacramental and prayer life, as well.

One who has attained a state of perfection through God’s grace and by acting on that grace.

We are all called to be saints. It is not for special people.

I am in a parish with many who have attained very high levels of virtue. But, it is led by priests, who themselves have high levels of virtue. Sacramental life is very robust, in particular confession where many go weekly to work on venial matters. The priests foster this and take the time to work with us. Has anyone reached pure perfection? I cannot say. However, I believe the world over there are saints that die unnoticed by the general population. It could be the grungy-looking old man on a park bench or the less known person in the pew next to us.

John,

When I recall that Moses’ face was so radiant that he had to wear a veil to hide it from the people, I can also say that a man’s countenance reveals the holiness of his spirit. There are a couple of people in my parish who have that quiet joy which is so evident on their faces almost every time I see them, and it is so unconscious to them that they are “glowing.”

They are also reputed to be virtuous, as I discovered in conversation with them, for gossip or detraction is never on their lips.

I also remember a certain priest who always made me feel like the disciples when they met Jesus on the road to Emmaus - “Were not our hearts burning within us?”
It is sort of like St. John the Baptist’s stirring within Elizabeth when he was present to Our Lord within Mary’s womb. It must be the Holy Spirit who reveals this to us, although the person never utters a word. We can almost sense their holiness, which first appears on their countenance as a sign of the indwelling Christ.

Carole

John Russell Jr said:
2. What is a Saint in your opinion?
4. Have you known anyone you believe to be a Saint?

I heard a wonderful talk by Fr. Dubay on Sanctity. I wish I had it on tape so I could listen to it every morning.

A saint of course is a person made perfectly righteous. The key is heroic virtue. Heroic virtue is obtained in small degrees through daily perseverance.

Of course, we must strive for sanctity.

I know some really holy people. The thing that gives away their holiness is their great love. One person I am particularly thinking of is a mom of six who is so faithful and kind and prayerful. I really look up to her as a example of sanctity in my vocation. My grandmother was so loving and gentle, I think she is probably a saint. My grandfather, though, may still be in purgatory!! (I hope not–still praying).

I keep hoping that God will bring me along in sanctity because my own efforts are so feeble.

I read once that Jesus has sent us many great saints for this era, but they were aborted. :mad: !!! Sometimes, I don’t know how He stands us. 😦

John Russell Jr said:

God calls all of us to be perfect as He is to live in His eternal abode.

:blessyou:

Hi friend,

I read a good portion of the articles and they seem fine. Keep up the good work. It’s important to get the truth about Opus Dei out there especially with all the lies, prejudice and hatred the enemy inspires against Opus Dei. And now we have that Davinci movie coming.
Keep spreading the truth. The truth will set us free.http://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/icons/icon14.gif
40.png
Sayanz:
Hi John,

Thanks for your question. I’ve been reflecting on it myself over the past months, since I’ve been helping write the Wikipedia article on Opus Dei.

Kindly check these links up:

Wikipedia: Opus Dei: why one can and should be a saint

Wikipedia: Overview of Opus Dei spiritual teachings

Since you are a cooperator of Opus Dei, there might be a special interest on this. I am also interested in getting some feedback on these write-ups. Thanks.

John Russell Jr said:

Saying “Yes” to God’s call. Every moment of every day. In the smallest of things. And to walk humbly with Him. This is all the easier if we give ourselves to the Blessed Virgin Mary, who forms us into His children.
John Russell Jr:
  1. Do you believe you should try to become a Saint?
Yes, but not on our own strength. I believe we should ask to be made saints, and put in the effort to prove our love in response to God’s grace.
John Russell Jr:
  1. Have you known anyone you believe to be a Saint?
My wife knows a mystic whom she is convinced is a living saint, but I can’t say I know her myself. But I think highly of this person, and there are a lot of amazing things I keep hearing that God does through her.

hurst

I am reminded of Plato:

‘How does a man become brave? By doing brave things.’

How does one become a saint? By doing saintly things.
What are saintly things? Read the Beatitudes. Jesus lays it all out for us.

John Russell Jr:
Hi friend,

I read a good portion of the articles and they seem fine. Keep up the good work. It’s important to get the truth about Opus Dei out there especially with all the lies, prejudice and hatred the enemy inspires against Opus Dei. And now we have that Davinci movie coming.
Keep spreading the truth. The truth will set us free.http://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/icons/icon14.gif
Hi John,

Thanks for your feedback and comments on the Wikipedia article. I appreciate them very much.

Your question is a very important one. In fact, John Paul II puts sanctity as the single most important priority of all Catholic Church activities. And so, the answer to “how to become a saint” is essential for many Catholics.

That is why I am also interested in spreading this idea. The Wikipedia article in some way indirectly helps. But how I wish it can get a higher ranking than the Unofficial Opus Dei homepage, ODAN and the Rickross anti-cult group. For that more people have to get to know and visit the Wikipedia article on Opus Dei. It would be excellent if Catholic bloggers put the link on their sites.

You can go to the EWTN audio library and search for Dubay and listen free to his series on St. John of the Cross, St. Teresa, and contemplative prayer.

As the person above mentioned, he very often stresses that we are all called to be saints.

“An Introduction to the Devout Life” by St. Francis de Sales is an EXCELLENT “how-to”-type book on growing in faith, IMO. I’m reading it now and love it.

It can’t hurt to read about the lives of saints, and pick up some good habits along the way. With all things, pray…

As for me, I believe the difference between saints and sinners, is that saints pick themselves up and try again and again with reconciliation.

God sure is good isn’t He?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back