Recently I became interested in numbers and their meaning in the Bible and in general.
The numbers 1, 2 and 3 have obvious meanings, but I am interested now in 4.
One thinks of the four Gospels - Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.
The four corners of the world - north, south, east and west.
Also one thinks of the four horsemen of the Apocalypse.
Wikipedia tells us
I read:
A square has 4 sides.
YHWH has four letters (tetragrammaton).
Four rivers flowed into Eden.
Ezekiel considered four living creatures.
In Peter’s vision a sheet was held down by its four corners.
Please suggest more examples of the use of four, especially in the Bible.
The numbers 1, 2 and 3 have obvious meanings, but I am interested now in 4.
One thinks of the four Gospels - Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.
The four corners of the world - north, south, east and west.
Also one thinks of the four horsemen of the Apocalypse.
Wikipedia tells us
The Apocalypse also has four other beasts, now used to represent the evangelists.the four beasts that ride on white, red, black, and pale horses which each symbolize Conquest, War, Famine, and Death, respectively.
I read:
It was considered there were four elements - earth, air, fire and water.The First beast was like a LION
The Second was like a CALF
The Third was like the face of a MAN
The fourth was like a flying EAGLE.
A square has 4 sides.
YHWH has four letters (tetragrammaton).
Four rivers flowed into Eden.
Ezekiel considered four living creatures.
In Peter’s vision a sheet was held down by its four corners.
Please suggest more examples of the use of four, especially in the Bible.