What is the difference between a Christening and a Baptism?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lead_Me_Home
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lead_Me_Home

Guest
Is a Baptism more of a general or an umbrella term for the Sacrament? Is a Christening specific to the Baptism o infants and sprinkling?
 
Christen is a term that comes from middle English that means to make a Christian, to baptize.

The Catholic Church does not call baptism “christening.”
 
1ke, of course, is correct. However, as I’ve moved about the US through the years, it also seems that the terms are sometimes used interchangeably, depending upon the region of the country in which one resides.

More often it is a Protestant baptism of an infant that is regularly called a “Christening.”

Catholics almost always, and correctly, use the term Baptism for our sacrament. But I’ve heard “Christening” used in casual conversation, often as a general term in reference to the celebration being hosted following the sacrament, rather than the sacrament itself.
 
Interestingly, my copy of the new (1994?) Catholic Encyclopedia says that ‘christening’ is the naming part of the Baptism. IOW, the part where the priest asks “What name do you give your child?” would be the ‘christening’ part of the Baptism.

Some churches seem to differentiate between christening and Baptism as I often hear that Pentecostals were ‘christened’ as children but only baptized when they were adults. There appears to be, at least in the local Pentecostal Church, 2 separate ceremonies.
 
I think it is party a local language difference too. I always thought of "christening " as a Protestant term too but a dear, older, life-long Catholic friend from Pennsylvania uses the term “Christening”.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top