What is the Focolare Movement

• Thread starter Thread starter Annunciata
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Annunciata

I just received my diocesan newpaper and there is an article in it about an icon of Moses sponsored by Chiara Lubich founder of the movement…is this something new?

Focolare is a group that formed within the last century. I cannot remember the date, but it was basically started during WWII. I was able to spend a day with them this past year in Italy and picked up a few things.

They are a group of lay people who live out the teachings of the Gospels in their daily lives. It is a somewhat radical way of life, living in communities together and praying together. The community supports each other in a charitable manner, though people own their own businesses and property. They have developed something called the economy of communion which is an interesting aspect of their movement. In this business set up the workers are well treated and the profits of the company are split in a unique way. 1/3 of the profits go back into the company for investment in the company. 1/3 goes to programs that help the poor all over the world. 1/3 goes towards cultural development i.e paying the artisans that work in their communities. There is a little booklet on the movement published by a major Catholic publishing company, but I cannot remember the title wwhich explains the entire movement and how it was started.

40.png
Mjohn1453:
Focolare is a group that formed within the last century. I cannot remember the date, but it was basically started during WWII. I was able to spend a day with them this past year in Italy and picked up a few things.

They are a group of lay people who live out the teachings of the Gospels in their daily lives. It is a somewhat radical way of life, living in communities together and praying together. The community supports each other in a charitable manner, though people own their own businesses and property. They have developed something called the economy of communion which is an interesting aspect of their movement. In this business set up the workers are well treated and the profits of the company are split in a unique way. 1/3 of the profits go back into the company for investment in the company. 1/3 goes to programs that help the poor all over the world. 1/3 goes towards cultural development i.e paying the artisans that work in their communities. There is a little booklet on the movement published by a major Catholic publishing company, but I cannot remember the title wwhich explains the entire movement and how it was started.
It sounds like Utopia! Or, “the way” Christ intended for us to live.
Annunciata:)

This pope has shown a marked preference according to some for these small separate groups; other Catholics, many of them in the hierarchy and the curia point out the problems associated with them:

Chiesa ran an article on a number of the better known ones and said:

"…The editorial – dated June 19, 2004, entitled “The ecclesial movements today,” and signed by Jesuit Fr. Giuseppe De Rosa – is all the more important insofar as it was reviewed and authorized before printing by the Vatican secretariat of state, as is the rule for every edition of “La Civiltà Cattolica.” Reading it is like glancing over a reminder note, not for the use of the current pontificate, but for that of the next, with a list of unresolved questions. And the answers must be found.

In making a survey of the “dangers” and “challenges” posed by the movements, the magazine does not mention names. But it’s not difficult for the experts to identify the institutes under criticism, point by point.

The third challenge “is constituted by the fact that some ecclesial movements admit baptized non-Catholics”: if these “were to become very numerous, they might influence the general assemblies to make substantial statutory changes, putting in danger the Catholic nature of the movement itself.”

This brings to mind the Focolare movement founded and headed by Chiara Lubich, which counts among its members thousands of non-Catholics and non-Christians, among whom are many Muslims and Buddhists. It is true that the non-Catholics belonging to Focolare do not enjoy any deliberative power, but the fear is that they might gain influence as a pressure group and weigh upon the public image of the movement and of the Church, in a relativistic sense…"

40.png
HagiaSophia:
This brings to mind the Focolare movement founded and headed by Chiara Lubich, which counts among its members thousands of non-Catholics and non-Christians, among whom are many Muslims and Buddhists. It is true that the non-Catholics belonging to Focolare do not enjoy any deliberative power, but the fear is that they might gain influence as a pressure group and weigh upon the public image of the movement and of the Church, in a relativistic sense…"
Would Opus Dei be one of the movements you mention…since to be a Cooperator you don’t need to be a Christian? Annunciata:)

I had forgotten about their openness to other denominations and non-Christians, and that is one thing that did concern me when I visited them. Though focolare claims not to actively evangelize them, a lot of these people do end up converting by the example of the Catholics in the group.

40.png
Annunciata:
Would Opus Dei be one of the movements you mention…since to be a Cooperator you don’t need to be a Christian? Annunciata:)
Opus Dei is mentioned in the article because it is one of the groups but it has two thing the others don’t:

"…The first is “the lack of an overarching law.” “The present code of canon law does not deal explicitly with the ecclesial movements,” and this generates confusion. They must be “given canonical systemization”: an undertaking “which, however, shows itself to be particularly difficult.”

This observation is valid for most of the movements. An important exception is represented by Opus Dei, which, since it became a personal prelature – the only one in the Church today – has enjoyed a solid and untouchable juridical framework…"

This is a very big thing and lends far more credibility to the group than any of the others.

But there are those who simply do not like this entire “small group” eccelesial movement, see major problems ahead for various reasons - but it won’t change while this pope reigns - another pope, who knows?

Feelings run rather strong on this issue among religious in particular, and not too long ago a well known priest in Italy wrote a book highly critical of the pope and this entire phenomenon which has been widely read and quoted.

40.png
Mjohn1453:
I had forgotten about their openness to other denominations and non-Christians, and that is one thing that did concern me when I visited them. Though focolare claims not to actively evangelize them, a lot of these people do end up converting by the example of the Catholics in the group.
I thought in light of this discussion, the news story appearing earlier today seemed to me to refer once again to these small ecclesial groups: (Cardinal Ratzinger speaking on the pope’s “springtime of renewal”----)

"John Paul II has often written about the “new Springtime” in the Church. In a May 1991 homily, he said: “A new missionary age will arise, a new springtime for the Church”…Speaking with the Polish Catholic news agency KAI, Cardinal Ratzinger, Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith said that there are groups of the new generations in the Church today which represent “a new springtime of the Church that renews the world.”

"…The Cardinal explained that “we should not think that in the near future Christianity will become a movement of the masses again, going back to a situation like Medieval times.”

“At least we cannot expect that in the current conditions,” he added.

Nevertheless, recalling a phrase used by Lenin of Communist Russia, Ratzinger said that “the powerful minorities, which have something to say and something to bring to society, will determine the future…”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back