What is the Lay Apostolate?

• Thread starter Thread starter BonnieBj
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BonnieBj

Could someone please explain what the lay apostolate is? Is the person called a lay apostle or what? How does it relate to being an apologist?

yes, it is being an apostle to those you encounter in your daily life. by our baptism we are all called to evangelize, to spread the good news, and to witness our faith in the world. The lay apostolate is living your faith according to your state in life. If you are married, it is obeying God’s laws regarding marriage and family, including openness to life and chastity. If you are a student, it means behaving in a Christian way, not cheating, not being a bully or gossip, studying, obeying teachers. If you are a steelworker, it means doing and honest day’s work, honesty in dealings with coworkers and management, obeying just regulations in the workplace. It does not necessarily mean preaching to others, but it does mean living and making choices that clearly demonstrate you are a follower of Jesus.

My husband was legendary in his former company because he simply does not allow dirty jokes, anti-women or racist humor or derogatory comments in his presence. When he had his own company they turned down a very lucrative contract which would have involved some shady dealings with a certain government official, and used his position to influence others in the company to refuse the deal. when the big corporation ordered managers to lay off half their staff by Friday one notorious week, he had found new jobs for the 6 people he had to lay off before the deadline. My kids know they can trust him absolutely for advice that is honest, the right choice, the truth. What a witness.

My dad switched jobs, joining a prestigious ad agency at almost double the salary. After a year or so on the job, he told my mom “I cannot remain a Christian if I stay in this company, in this field.” What a teaching moment for his children. He went back to his old job and salary, and lost his seniority and pension by doing so.

My mom enjoyed visiting with the neighbors over the back fence, but everytime the conversation turned to gossip, she simply said, “I don’t talk about my friends when they are not here,” and went back in the house. Kids absorb this good example, and so do adults.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back