What is the Liturgy?

  • Thread starter Thread starter NguyenKimPhat
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NguyenKimPhat

Guest
Dear CAF,
I am so sorry if I have posted this thread in the wrong forum, but I was wondering if you will please help me with a definition question. For so long, as a life long Catholic, I have heard the word “Liturgy.” But I do not know what the word “Liturgy” means. What is the meaning of this word? Can you please define this word for me, keeping in mind that I am not a very knowledgeable Catholic. Thank you.
 
The direct translation into English is Public Duty or Public Service. It is usually used in relation to one’s Public duty to worship God. In Pagan days, it was the duty to offer public worship to the Emperor, or to the pagan gods.
 
Dear CAF,
I am so sorry if I have posted this thread in the wrong forum, but I was wondering if you will please help me with a definition question. For so long, as a life long Catholic, I have heard the word “Liturgy.” But I do not know what the word “Liturgy” means. What is the meaning of this word? Can you please define this word for me, keeping in mind that I am not a very knowledgeable Catholic. Thank you.
Liturgy is the communal prayer and worship of the Church. Mass falls under this category, as well as the Divine Office aka Liturgy of the Hours. This is most notible when offices such as Matins/Vigils (Office of Readings), Lauds (Morning Prayer), and Vespers (Evening Prayer) are celebrated by the community in the parish Church.

Certain devotions also fall under the title of Liturgy, such as exposition and benediction of the Blessed Sacrament.

Even the celebration of the Sacraments follow under this title. This has become more prevalent by the Church adding and encouraging the proclamation of sacred scripture in the rites of the Sacraments when they are celebrated outside of Mass.
 
The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass is divided into two parts, the Liturgy and the Eucharist. The first part is the Liturgy, which is from the entrance of the priest, through the readings, Gospel and homily.
The second part is the Eucharist, where the priest approaches the alter following the Homily and begins the prayers and preparations for the consecration of the bread into the True presence of the Body and Blood our our Lord Jesus.

If you arrive at Mass “after” the Gospel has been read during the Liturgy - you have missed Mass. The complete participation in the Mass is to “hear” the Liturgy which includes the Gospel.
 
The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass is divided into two parts, the Liturgy and the Eucharist.
Not quite. There are two main parts: the Liturgy of the Word and the Liturgy of the Eucharist. The Mass is divided into four parts: The Introductory Rites, the Liturgy of the Word, the Liturgy of the Eucharist, the Concluding Rites.
 
If the question is what compromises Liturgy in the Catholic Church, we cannot forget the other component of the Official Liturgy and that is the Divine Office or “Liturgy of the Hours.” While many lay Catholics are unaware of it, the Office is a series of prayers, Psalms and other Scriptural/Patristic/Writings of the Saints, which priests, monastics, and other groups and inidviduals pray various “hours” of the office throughout the day.
 
Liturgy–from Greek “Work of the People”
You have your own prayer life, your own individual communication with Jesus.

But liturgy is where we pray as a people, together. It is our work as a church (from ecclesia which means community). As a church we are called to works of charity (love), but we are also called to worship.

The Holy Mass, both parts-Liturgy of Word and Liturgy of the Eucharist…which lead to the Sacrament of the Eucharist which is the Summit and Fount of the Work of Christ’s Church, is Liturgy.
The rites surrounding all of the other Sacraments are Liturgy.
When we pray the Liturgy of the Hours-even when we are alone- we are participating in Liturgy because we pray that Liturgy as a church-all around the world at that hour.

All of our Liturgy as the Church is a reflection of the Eternal Liturgy in Heaven, where we will pray forever with all of the Saints in the presence of God. See the Book of Revalation.
 
Mass, the Office, and the Sacraments are part of the Liturgy.

Devotions such as the Rosary, Stations of the Cross, and Novenas are NOT part of the Litugy, even if they contain elements quoted from the Liturgy.
 
Liturgy–from Greek “Work of the People”
You have your own prayer life, your own individual communication with Jesus.

But liturgy is where we pray as a people, together. It is our work as a church (from ecclesia which means community). As a church we are called to works of charity (love), but we are also called to worship.
Now I’ve stated here before that while I prefer the EF and Eastern Liturgies over the OF, I hold the OF to be perfectly valid, and 100% Catholic. I do find the shift from Liturgy being Public Work, or Public Duty, to Work of the People as an interesting change since the late1980s and 90s on. Yes Laypeople do play an important role in the Church, we all have our roles. I do hope for a day when there is a return to a balance, as described by Pope Pius XII in his encylicals on both the Sacred Liturgy and on the Mystical Body of Christ.
 
You will find the Wikipedia article on liturgy informative. It is accurate and covers all of what previous posters have mentioned.

Brother Matthew
 
Mass, the Office, and the Sacraments are part of the Liturgy.

Devotions such as the Rosary, Stations of the Cross, and Novenas are NOT part of the Litugy, even if they contain elements quoted from the Liturgy.
Although it sort of falls in between, Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament falls under liturgy, it has a liturgical book.
 
Although it sort of falls in between, Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament falls under liturgy, it has a liturgical book.
Most Liturgists old and new would include Processions, Benediction, etc under the term Para-liturgical Rites or Services.
 
it is comes from the greek, it means the work of the people. It is the collection rites and ceremonies of the church offered for the adoration of god and the sanctification of god’s people.this word is connected to the order of service used in the holy communion.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top