What is the Novus Ordo?

• Thread starter Thread starter raphaela
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

raphaela

I hear this all the time on different threads and really don’t knwo what it is. To my understanding, and correct me if I’m wrong but, vatican II chagned mass from latin to whatever the indeginous language of the country you are attending church is? Is this wrong or is there anything else I am missing?

The use of the vernacular is something that is permitted under the Novus Ordo, but the language that the Novus Ordo is published in is Latin. The official language of the Church is Latin. The Novus Ordo is the rite followed in the majority of the Latin Rite parishes. Generally, the Novus Ordo is said in the vernacular, but this is not required under the rite.

This rite is somewhat different from the previous rite. Three more Eucharistic Prayers were added. The Liturgy of the Word was changed from an epistle, the gospel, and last gospel to an Old Testament reading (or from Acts during the Easter Season), an epistle, and the gospel. Some other prayers were removed or altered.

It is more than just a change in language in fact few people realize that the “Novus Ordo” or New Order of the Mass is also said in Latin. There are many other actions and prayers which have been modified. It really is not a “re-working” or revision of the old order of the Mass. It truly is a New Order of the Mass promulgated by Pope Paul VI.

The correct name of it is also not N.O. That is just a bit of improper slang which many use. It is, as pointed out above, a New order of the mass. It is not a New Mass.

The correct term is “Ordo Missae”. Which is Latin for “Order of the Mass.”

It can be confusing. But when you see NO they are just using a shortcut to point out the changes to the order of the Mass. Not a change in the Mass itself.

40.png
raphaela:
I hear this all the time on different threads and really don’t knwo what it is. To my understanding, and correct me if I’m wrong but, vatican II chagned mass from latin to whatever the indeginous language of the country you are attending church is? Is this wrong or is there anything else I am missing?
The Vatican II did change the Mass from Latin into the vernacular plus left out the last gospel and Pslam 42. Vatican II did not creat e the Novus Ordo Missae you see today. You can see the Vatican II changes here:
coreyzelinski.8m.com/1965_Mass/

But then in 1969, a new book of worship called the Novus Ordo Missae was to replace the previous Vatican II Mass in order for it to make it more ecumenical, etc.
Here is the Text for it:
latinliturgy.com/nomass.html

If you want to compare the two Missals side by side with the English Translations go here:
latin-mass-society.org/missals.htm

Johannes - I think you are in err to say the Mass was changed to vernacular - it is more like "The official language of the Church is Latin. The Novus Ordo is the rite followed in the majority of the Latin Rite parishes. Generally, the Novus Ordo is said in the vernacular, but this is not required under the rite. " as someone posted above.

It may be said in the vernacular but it is not mandated it be so. It may be said in Latin by any priest (which is not the same as theTridentine Mass in Latin).

40.png
deogratias:
Johannes - I think you are in err to say the Mass was changed to vernacular - it is more like "The official language of the Church is Latin. The Novus Ordo is the rite followed in the majority of the Latin Rite parishes. Generally, the Novus Ordo is said in the vernacular, but this is not required under the rite. " as someone posted above.

It may be said in the vernacular but it is not mandated it be so. It may be said in Latin by any priest (which is not the same as theTridentine Mass in Latin).
Yes you are right, my mistake. I should of said, VII allowed the widespread use of the vernacular language.

The normative way of doing both Missals is Latin, it is the vernacular that needs permission.

40.png
spetreopn:
The use of the vernacular is something that is permitted under the Novus Ordo, but the language that the Novus Ordo is published in is Latin. The official language of the Church is Latin. The Novus Ordo is the rite followed in the majority of the Latin Rite parishes. Generally, the Novus Ordo is said in the vernacular, but this is not required under the rite.

This rite is somewhat different from the previous rite. Three more Eucharistic Prayers were added. The Liturgy of the Word was changed from an epistle, the gospel, and last gospel to an Old Testament reading (or from Acts during the Easter Season), an epistle, and the gospel. Some other prayers were removed or altered.
In the Eastern Rite, we only have an Epistle and the Gospel. So you may say that we never changed.

Go with God!
Edwin

40.png
Edwin1961:
In the Eastern Rite, we only have an Epistle and the Gospel. So you may say that we never changed.

Go with God!
Edwin
Okay - we never changed (grin, duck and run)😃

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back