What makes a good Catholic forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob2

New member
A while ago I was reading a reflection in a Columban Missionary magazine . I share some of it with you .

It reads : " It is only right that we should question our use of the social media . While not allowing it to consume all our time and turn us into addicts , we can ask ourselves if we use it simply to escape ourselves , to avoid boredom , or to build up an admiring group of followers . It need not be like this . We are “connectors” , people who want to bond with others , form relationships , develop friendships . Today , thanks to the gift of modern technology , we are able to link with others across the world and share ideas and skills to build up hope and bring peace . When we choose to use this wonderful gift for the good of others , to encourage them and not to pull them down , we become apostles of hope in this digital age . To choose otherwise is to quench the spirit .

" " You cannot serve two masters , " Jesus said (Matthew 6:24) . If we spend an inordinate amount of time on social media , if we allow it to absorb us totally , whom are we following ? " Where your treasure is , there will your heart be also " (Matthew 6:21) . When we find God in our clever digital tools , using them to build and to nourish , then we are indeed blessed and the Kingdom grows . "

I especially like that last bit…" When we find God in our clever digital tools , using them to build and to nourish , then we are indeed blessed and the Kingdom grows ."

I would add to the above these recent words of the Holy Father in his Apostolic Exhortation Gaudete et Exsultate , " Christians too can be caught up in networks of verbal violence through the internet and the various forums of digital communication. Even in Catholic media, limits can be overstepped, defamation and slander can become commonplace, and all ethical standards and respect for the good name of others can be abandoned. The result is a dangerous dichotomy, since things can be said there that would be unacceptable in public discourse, and people look to compensate for their own discontent by lashing out at others. It is striking that at times, in claiming to uphold the other commandments, they completely ignore the eighth, which forbids bearing false witness or lying, and ruthlessly vilify others. Here we see how the unguarded tongue, set on fire by hell, sets all things ablaze (cf. Jas 3:6)."
 
I have been on Catholic forums which left me disappointed . One was open to non-Catholics , and most of them used the privilege to entertain themselves with lots of Catholic bashing which made dialogue impossible . Another forum was open to Catholics only to debate , but some of the Catholics were so negative and intolerant of other Catholics that again no genuine dialogue was possible .

A few days ago I came across Catholic Answers Forums . They were a breath of fresh air . I saw respect and an authentic search for truth , with members being considerate and caring when they made their posts .

I have to say , however , that yesterday , and I have one particular thread in mind , I was very disappointed to see a slanging match taking place between some members .

I cannot adopt a better-than-thou approach , because I have to confess that when I have posted it has not always been out of love .

Anyway , a little courtesy isn’t too much to ask from each other . 😃
 
Courtesy is certainly not too much to ask, but there’s a large, diverse group of people who are members here. It’s going to get salty once in a while. My advice is if you see something that breaks the forum rules, flag it. And don’t add fuel to the fire by posting/responding back to posters who are posting less than charitably.
 
I think a lot of people should think before they post. Remember they are addressing another human being.

I myself am guilty of being uncivil myself though.
 
Welcome to CAF.

If something violates the terms of service located in the FAQ (you can find it by clicking the three bars in the top menu), then flag it.

Please note, flags are only supposed to be used when there is an actual violation of the TOS, not for posts that you (or anyone else) might just personally disagree with or dislike.

if you don’t like what’s going on in a thread, but can’t find a clear violation of the TOS, my suggestion would be to just read another thread. There are certain topics that pretty much cause an uproar every time. I make liberal use of the “Mute Thread” option to make them disappear.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top