What music keeps you going through the day?

• Thread starter Thread starter Jenlyn
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jenlyn

Finding Catholic artists that compare to the Christian radio is like finding a needle in a haysack. They’re out there, I have to have hope but they aren’t known like the Christian radio artists.

It’s extremely hard to make it as a Christian artist and even harder if you’re Catholic and even harder if you’re Catholic with a Catholic message.

So when you turn on your radio in the car or at home so you can “get down” with the Almighty, who do you listen to…Catholic artists CD’s, Christian radio…? Name you’re favorite performers if you’d like.

I don’t know a lot of authors but I listen to a lot of Mass music I like Jim Murphy who sings I can only imagine (For His Glory) but we have the cds at school with all the Mass music. I listen to the K4J music with the kids a lot it teaches virtue and is great to sing to.

Hmm, I tend to go through phases with music. Now that it’s been mentioned I realize I haven’t been listening to much music at all throughout the day. However, about 95% of the time I’m in the car I’m listening to Gregorian Chant. It definitely calms down my road rage :banghead: --------> :getholy:

parish staff had been playing top 40 station during working hours, so I have persuaded them to allow me to instead play instrumental CDs from the Simplicity series, enough variety of musicality and instrumentation not to get boring, but a suitably reverent environment.

40.png
mtr01:
Hmm, I tend to go through phases with music. Now that it’s been mentioned I realize I haven’t been listening to much music at all throughout the day. However, about 95% of the time I’m in the car I’m listening to Gregorian Chant. It definitely calms down my road rage :banghead: --------> :getholy:
Me too exactly. Gregorian chant is medicine for the soul. The trouble is I do listen to a lot of secular music some of the lyrics i find distateful

We are here to answer your prayers…hehehe
We ARE a Catholic band…we do anything from rock, to hardcore, to acoustic…etc. and we do it all for free, so feel free to download all our songs.

God Bless www.sevensorrows.com
tell us what you think!

40.png
mtr01:

40.png
Toni:
I don’t know a lot of authors but I listen to a lot of Mass music I like Jim Murphy who sings I can only imagine (For His Glory) but we have the cds at school with all the Mass music. I listen to the K4J music with the kids a lot it teaches virtue and is great to sing to.

AAs far as Catholic artists are concerned, I like John Michael Talbut, Jim Cowan, Dana, Hogan and Hass, and many of the earlier groups such as the St. Louis Jesuits. However, I do also like the more traditional forms such as masses e.g. Verdi’s Requiem, and traditional hymns. But then, I like classical music in general. If it praises the Lord and sounds good, I like it. I don’t like hard rock or rap, though I know they sometimes have to be used to reach some teens.

AAs far as Catholic artists, my favorites right now are John Michael Talbut and Jim Cowan. However, my tastes in Catholic music are quite wide. They range from classical (Verdi’s Requiem) to soft rock. If it sounds good to me and it praises the Lord, it’s okay.

My favorite kind of music is christian…but most of all
anything that praises the Lord…🙂

yippeee

Yay.
Amen

Happy Jeanne:
AAs far as Catholic artists, my favorites right now are John Michael Talbut …
You are the first to mention John Michael Talbot! Very surprising. :bigyikes: He is the biggest Catholic artist. He has many CD’s varying from instrumental guitar music, “Pathways,” created for prayer and quiet time. The rest of his CD’s are spiritual for Mass and just for listening.

Jen

at home I relish silence, but when I deliberately need a prayer atmosphere I play Taize CDs and sing along

My favorite artists are Nicole Nordman, Ginny Owens, Chris Rice, Fernando Ortega. They aren’t Catholic though! :crying:

Nicole Nordman writes her own stuff. She a great message. Ginny Owens writes her own stuff too. She is blind. She has some groovy songs. Chris Rice has many CD’s, I like his older stuff because it has a better message. Fernando Ortega writes his own stuff but also sings spirituals like “Give Me Jesus.” He also sings hymns like “Be Thou My Vision.”

I have friend Curtis Stephan from the Dallas area that has a CD out. He IS Catholic! :clapping: He wrote his music and most of it is Rock.

Seven Sorrows:
We are here to answer your prayers…hehehe
We ARE a Catholic band…we do anything from rock, to hardcore, to acoustic…etc. and we do it all for free, so feel free to download all our songs.
I looked at your site. Very nice. However I have dial up and it take too long to download your songs. :whistle:

What do you mean by “we do anything from rock, to hardcore, to acoustic…etc.” Do you have a set number of songs and then arrange for them the different styles or is each song a different style?

Do your purpose to minister to the youth?

Jen

I usually listen to Catholic talk radio, which is Relevant Radio… but if it comes to music… I listen to Marian music. I also find it difficult to find Catholic music on CD. I would love to have Gregorian chants in my car. But usually, the sound of my engine revving calms the stress from work.

I have been a huge secular music fan all of my life. After reverting back to the faith 2 years ago, I’ve been picking through my collection(and iTunes) trying to find songs with Christian themes to give me inspiration. Here’s the current mix I’m working on:
  1. His Name Is Alive “I Can’t Live At Home In This World”
  2. Daniel Lanois “The Maker”
  3. P.O.D. “Alive”
  4. Big Star “Try Again”
  5. Loretta Lynn “How Great Thou Art”
  6. Ben Harper & The Blind Boys of Alabama “Picture of Jesus”
  7. Pedro the Lion “Be Thou My Vision”
  8. Sam Cooke “One More River”
  9. Ani DiFranco “Amazing Grace”
  10. His Name Is Alive “One More”
Pedro the Lion seems to be quasi-Christian as does the Daniel Lanois album “Acadie”(at least a few of the songs on there), but other than that I think they’re all pretty secular. Any suggestions on songs to add are welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back