What should I do when I forget to read the Bible?

• Thread starter Thread starter Benjamin89
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Benjamin89

I try to read the daily mass readings in my Bible everyday, but somedays I forget to. Should I go backwards and read what I missed or should I just move on with today’s readings? What if I miss a whole week of readings? Thanks for your help!

Go back and catch what you missed **and ** move on with today’s. It doesn’t take that much time.

And try not to obsess about it. God doesn’t fall off His throne just because you missed a day or two. He’ll still be there when you get back to it. It’s what He does.

DaveBj

I found its not always worth “catching up” if multiple days are missed, it can turn into skimming and cram style reading and misses the point of meditating on them. In general if its a day missed then go back and read, but if its more than that skip it and go on as usual.

As David said, you can go back to read the previous day’s readings, but it really isn’t necessary. If you made a promise or a vow to read every day, then ask forgiveness and soldier on in humility knowing that your one failure is not the end of the universe as we know it nor is hell yawning before you if you forget or get too busy to do this daily devotion. As we always do after not doing what we would have liked to have done, we go on with the intention of doing better next time. As frail human beings who tend to muck things up from time to time, it’s what we have to do or give up in despair. And, I don’t think you want to do that. 😉

40.png
Benjamin89:
I try to read the daily mass readings in my Bible everyday, but somedays I forget to. Should I go backwards and read what I missed or should I just move on with today’s readings? What if I miss a whole week of readings? Thanks for your help!
nevermind yesterday, yesterday is gone, just read today’s readings. If you miss a day or so, nevermind, just always read today’s readings. it is not supposed to be a school assignment or duty, but an act of love to listen to God who loves you as he speaks to you through scripture.

Catholic Dude:
I found its not always worth “catching up” if multiple days are missed, it can turn into skimming and cram style reading and misses the point of meditating on them. In general if its a day missed then go back and read, but if its more than that skip it and go on as usual.
I have a “special case” that others may not enjoy–I work night security three nights a week, with **plenty ** of time for thoughtful reading, in case I’ve fallen behind. 😛

DaveBj

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back