What should you expect from spiritual direction?

• Thread starter Thread starter Kelly
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kelly

What exactly is spiritual direction? I am considering asking my priest about this, but I was wondering what to expect and what exactly is supposed to happen in Spiritual Direction.

I was wondering the exact same thing! What do you do to actually get a spiritual director, just go up to a suitable religious person and ask “Do you want to be my spritual director?”

Hello Kelly,

I have been in spiritual direction for 20+ years . I would encourage anyone who is serious of journeying towards a deepler relationship with God to enter into such a discipline. In my case, the Lord kinda pushed me into it due to the circumstance I was in at the time and I have been blessed with the same priest since. The journey has its ups and downs . It can be tedious at times, but this is what molds you into better catholic-christian.

What should you do? Pray about it and sincerely ask the Lord to show the priest or person that would be right for you. I prefer a priest, but I am a bit more conservative. He will answer your prayer…just be patient. The Lord always knows our heart and knows what is best for us.

Maybe a retreat might help you in this regard. When I do go for direction I see in him Jesus and I spill to him my last month’s prayer time, struggles, crisis, spiritual reading, etc. I believe he needs to know EVERYTHING that pertains to your soul, whether you are emberrassed to say it or not. Spritual secrets are not a good thing as everything needs to be brought in the Light.

As you mature, you will be more sensitive to the soul’s stirrings and it will become easier to share with your director. I write notes to go and see him so I do remain on track…I

The director is there to co-discern with you. It is you, with the help of the holy Spirit, that discerns. This again will come with maturity.

A good director will have you lean on Jesus. At first you may feel dependant on the priest, but you will see that in time, he is there walking with you side by side toward the Resurrected Christ.

It is a true blessing. But one must be truly serious about being transformed into God’s light. Just like going to a doctor to heal our ailment, thus, this is done also spiritually. Sometimes it is spirtual surgery. But you will be blessed over and over again.

Anyway that is enough… God bless you. And I will keep you in my prayers…:bowdown:

Blessings,
Shsoahna

What do you do to actually get a spiritual director, just go up to a suitable religious person and ask "Do you want to be my spritual director

Sometimes, it may be just that simple…after concerted prayer. There are retreat house runned by Carmelites, Franciscans, et. but many directors are secualr priests. I trust that the Lord will show you…he has your soul in His hands…

Blessings,
Shoshana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back