R
rick43235
Guest
I’ve heard it said that a woman gets married thinking that she can change her husband, and a man gets married thinking his wife will never change. Maybe you have some of that dynamic is going on here.As far as changing the rules…when we married I don’t think either of us expected that the other wouldn’t change. For goodness sake, why would anyone expect that you could spend your WHOLE LIFE with a person and they wouldn’t change one bit?
I assume that you go to mass on a somewhat regular schedule, and I suspect he knows exactly what that schedule is. If you didn’t say anything about it until you were on your way out the door, I really don’t think he’d be taken by surprise and left feeling uninvited. If he wants to go, he’ll be ready. If he doesn’t want to go, you’ll know it because he won’t be with you when you leave. I think we’re all in agreement that forcing the issue would likely be counterproductive.Yes, that’s the balance I am trying to find. When does it change from inviting to nagging? And I do view ANY time he’s willing to go to Mass as a positive, and I want to be very clear here - my husband ROCKS. Seriously. But, then again, I don’t want to STOP asking him questions and inviting him to things - these are things that are on my heart, and the only thing WORSE would be for me to say something like ‘Well, I assumed you wouldn’t be interested in going to this Bible study with me, so I’m dropping the kids off at my mom’s and I’ll be back in two hours’ I don’t think that’s very nice either. So, I agree with what you’re saying and THAT is the balance I am trying to find. I want to be loving and supportive and encouraging, but not over bearing. Likewise, I want him to know ALWAYS that this is a journey that I would rather take WITH him than alone. That’s the balance I try to strike. I agree - forcing him to go could backfire, but then again, I don’t want him to think I forgot about inviting him along!!!
As for the kids, that’s a tough one. Although I don’t share your faith, I can understand that you would want you children to grow up sharing your beliefs, and it’s understandable that you would like your husband’s support in that regard. Although he may not be as supportive as you like, at least he’s not actively opposing you. The fact that he thinks that “it’s nice” that the kids are being raised in the Church is also a positive thing, from my point of view. I think many atheists recognize that there are some positive things about raising children within some kind of religious structure. Having a supportive community, a foundation upon which to develop a moral code, the feeling that everything is under the control of a loving supreme being, etc, etc, can give a child a feeling of security. Whether or not your children maintain these beliefs into adulthood is, for the most part, out of your control. And while they may question your beliefs at a younger age when they notice that Dad doesn’t share them, in the end, it probably doesn’t make that much difference. If they are going to believe, they’ll believe. (But maybe after taking a detour, like their mom did.)