B
benedictgal
Guest
But, the problem is that it was never anyone’s authority to give such a blessing. Now you say that someone is taking away your personal blessing. Nothing prevents you from approaching the priest after the Mass.Well actually I was aware that is was not an official part of the Mass but my Priest indicated that it was all right. In fact, I saw it done on a Mass broadcast on EWTN so I thought it was not a sin, just discouraged in some parishes. I won’t do it anymore if it is a sin, but if it isn’t, I don’t know why anyone would want to take away my weekly personal blessing. I look forward to my blessing since I am not yet in full communion with the church. I believe nearly everything the CC teaches and stands for and what I can’t accept on reason (birth control) I accept on faith.
The fact that the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments has made five very solid observations, based on Canon Law and Liturgical Law, should be very clear.
- **The liturgical blessing of the Holy Mass is properly given to each and to all at the conclusion of the Mass, just a few moments subsequent to the distribution of Holy Communion. **
- Lay people, within the context of Holy Mass, are unable to confer blessings. These blessings, rather, are the competence of the priest (cf. Ecclesia de Mysterio, Notitiae 34 (15 Aug. 1997), art. 6, § 2; Canon 1169, § 2; and Roman Ritual De Benedictionibus (1985), n. 18).
- Furthermore, the laying on of a hand or hands — which has its own sacramental significance, inappropriate here — by those distributing Holy Communion, in substitution for its reception, is to be explicitly discouraged.
- The Apostolic Exhortation Familiaris Consortio n. 84, “forbids any pastor, for whatever reason to pretext even of a pastoral nature, to perform ceremonies of any kind for divorced people who remarry”. To be feared is that any form of blessing in substitution for communion would give the impression that the divorced and remarried have been returned, in some sense, to the status of Catholics in good standing.
Please look at observations 1 and 5. Everyone is going to get a blessing. The fact that you are now making it something personal says to me that there is some misguidance going on here, not necessarily on your part, but, on the part of those in your parish who are promoting this.
- **In a similar way, for others who are not to be admitted to Holy Communion in accord with the norm of law, the Church’s discipline has already made clear that they should not approach Holy Communion nor receive a blessing. This would include non-Catholics **and those envisaged in can. 915 (i.e., those under the penalty of excommunication or interdict, and others who obstinately persist in manifest grave sin).
The Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments is the entity of the Holy See that acts in and with the authority of the Holy Father on every matter that concerns the Liturgy, the Mass, if you will. They do not issue these statements will-nilly. They do their work pastorally, taking into account folks who are in your situation. However, they also want to ensure that the proper catechesis is given so that situations like the one you are experiencing do not continue to fester and cause further confusion.
Remaining in your pew does not make you any less of a person than those who are receiving Holy Communion. In fact, as Catholics, we are not required to receive Holy Communion at every Mass we assist. I have refrained from receiving a few times. We are only required to receive Holy Communion as part of our Easter Duty (which runs from Ash Wednesday to Trinity Sunday). Spend this time in quiet prayer, asking Jesus to come spiritually in your heart while you prepare yourself for the time when you can actually go and receive Him.