What to do when disappointed?

• Thread starter Thread starter KatarinaTherese
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KatarinaTherese

I wasn’t sure if this is the right forum for this, so sorry if it’s wrong…

Anyway, I’m helping put on this retreat. It’s this weekend, and I’m so excited! 😃 Tonight I was at a meeting for our committee. But I learned something about another member on the team (who wasn’t at the meeting), that makes me really sad. Just really disappointed in him. I really love (in a sisterly, Christian way) and respect this guy. Now I’m just really sad and disappointed. 😦

I’m so upset. He doesn’t even know I know this about him (Sorry if it makes this hard to read, but I don’t want to say on here what it is). Am I naive, though, for getting so disappointed? For never thinking that one of my friends is capable of messing things up this badly?

I’m so confused. Can anyone help me? Hopefully I’m not the only one like this… 😦

You are not the only one like this.

It’s okay to be dissapointed in someone’s choice of action. But there is a lesson in humility here. You too are capable of being just as dissapointing to someone who cares for you. We all are. We are sinners.

Your dissapointment in him though is something you should work through by turning your sense of doubt in his ability/intentions into a determination to help him. I’m not suggesting that you tell him you know what he did, only that you should support him and try and help him in anyway you see fit to help bring him away/back from that.

And lets not forget to pray for him. Pray for him so deeply that your dissapointment turns into tears for mercy. And pray that he too is praying for help.

I wish you the best and will pray for you and your friend. Pax Christi.

40.png
KatarinaTherese:
I wasn’t sure if this is the right forum for this, so sorry if it’s wrong…

Anyway, I’m helping put on this retreat. It’s this weekend, and I’m so excited! 😃 Tonight I was at a meeting for our committee. But I learned something about another member on the team (who wasn’t at the meeting), that makes me really sad. Just really disappointed in him. I really love (in a sisterly, Christian way) and respect this guy. Now I’m just really sad and disappointed. 😦

I’m so upset. He doesn’t even know I know this about him (Sorry if it makes this hard to read, but I don’t want to say on here what it is). Am I naive, though, for getting so disappointed? For never thinking that one of my friends is capable of messing things up this badly?

I’m so confused. Can anyone help me? Hopefully I’m not the only one like this… 😦
KatarinaTherese:

Naivete is my Middle Name. I tend to be as Naive as the day is long…

It’s sounds like you need to find someone you trust (like a priest) and talk about this. At the same time, might I suggest a prayer from the “Big Book of Alcoholis Anonymous”:

God, grant me the courage to change the things I can,
the serenity to accept the things I can’t,
and the wisdom to know the difference.

I’m dealing with a situation involving a Pastor who’s just diappointed several members of a congregation, causing most of the major donors and several young families to leave. Many of the families who left left not so much because of what the man of God did, but because of how he responded to their repeated attempts to correct him and how the rest of the members of the congregation responded to their concerns.

I may have to leave myself, because I spent quite some time listening to the concerns of the young couples who left and trying to find a middle road that allowed the Pastor to be corrected by his Bishop while allowing him to stay and maybe bringing them and the donors back to the Parish (after taking a sabbatical or leave of absence to deal with the problems the young people were pointing out).

That’s made me fairly unpopular with the pastor’s fan club, who in the worlds of one of the members, "Didn’t care if their Rector belonged to the KKK! (Those were uttered by a black man with a broken moral compass - talk about dissappointment!)

Except from praying about the situation constantly, writing the Bishop about some issues that came up during the course of meetings and conversations, and trying to ride out the storm, there isn’t much I can do to change things. So, if I want to have any measure of sanity, I have to accept the Rector is the way he is and that his fan club will do whatever it is their going to do whenever they’re going to do it.

It may not be a very happy solution, but it seems the only reasonable one available, given that this parish was a refuge in a largely heterodox archdiocese.

I know that isn’t much comfort to you, but I hope that it let’s you know that you’re not alone on this, and that people will disppoint us from time to time.

There is only ONE I’ve known who can never and will never disappoint, and that is Christ Jesus the Lord.

Part of our problem is that we sometimes compare our brothers and sisters to Him and to His Mother, and we’re always dissappointed when we do that, for, “All have fallen short of the glory of God.”

As I write this, i know that, sooner or later, i will disappoint you.

It can’t be helped.

What counts isn’t that we never fall, because all of us will from time to time. What counts is that we get up, dust ourselves off and keep going. That’s why there are 3 falls in The Stations of the Cross.

So, Keep your eyes fixed on Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our Faith, so that you may be kept unto the Day of His return."

And, ask yourself if this man who dissappointed you has gone about picking himself up or if he is still rolling around in the muck and the mire of his sinfulness.

Goodnight and Goodbless.

In Christ, Michael

Thank you both for your help. I just wrote a really long post in reply, but it somehow was lost when I tried to submit it. I guess God didn’t want you all to have to sift through that much. :o Honestly, I don’t feel like summing up what I said, but I’ll reply later. I just want to let you know I wasn’t ignoring what you both said, I was actually on that retreat all weekend and so I’ve been pretty busy with it.

First, is it true?

Even if it is true, what happens now? Nobody’s perfect, and most people are a whole lot less perfect that they’d like to be (and certainly less perfect that others would like them to be…)

You loved him (in a sisterly sort of way, natch). That means you saw good in him, right? Lots of good? Now you see evil in him. That makes him … just like everybody else. Treasure the good and keep loving.

You’d be amazed at the stupid things good people will do. Just AMAZED.

40.png
St.Curious:
You are not the only one like this.

It’s okay to be dissapointed in someone’s choice of action. But there is a lesson in humility here. You too are capable of being just as dissapointing to someone who cares for you. We all are. We are sinners.

Your dissapointment in him though is something you should work through by turning your sense of doubt in his ability/intentions into a determination to help him. I’m not suggesting that you tell him you know what he did, only that you should support him and try and help him in anyway you see fit to help bring him away/back from that.

And lets not forget to pray for him. Pray for him so deeply that your dissapointment turns into tears for mercy. And pray that he too is praying for help.

I wish you the best and will pray for you and your friend. Pax Christi.
Thank you, for your advice and prayers. Every time I see or think of him I want to cry, and I know this sounds too dramatic, from the depths of my soul. You see, last year we were both on the same retreat team, and we picked names for prayer partners. We were to pray specifically for that person - mine happened to be this guy. I hadn’t prayed for him since about April, but recently I felt the urge to start again. I guess that’s part of the reason I’m disappointed: in myself, for not praying more, and also that my prayers don’t seem to be affecting anything right now.
Traditional Ang:
There is only ONE I’ve known who can never and will never disappoint, and that is Christ Jesus the Lord.
Thank you for reminding me of that. It’s so beautiful to me.
Penny Plain:
First, is it true?

Even if it is true, what happens now? Nobody’s perfect, and most people are a whole lot less perfect that they’d like to be (and certainly less perfect that others would like them to be…)

You loved him (in a sisterly sort of way, natch). That means you saw good in him, right? Lots of good? Now you see evil in him. That makes him … just like everybody else. Treasure the good and keep loving.

You’d be amazed at the stupid things good people will do. Just AMAZED.
Well, it’s true. Even if it wasn’t there are other things that just now (aka within 2 days) happened that would have made me disappointed by themselves.

Thank you for that second-to-last comment. I guess it’s just that, before, I didn’t have to try to see good. That’s all I did see, or at least I was able to ignore the small bad things. Now it’s a little harder. I suppose I’m not used to having to try in the first place! Like I said, I’m naive…

So he is a sinner! Aren’t we all? God tells us not to judge. It’s OK to “Hate the sin”, but continue to “Love the sinner”. Maybe you can try to channel your thoughts and emotions into hating the sin, and helping him as a Christian. Remember the parable “Let he who is without sin cast the first stone…”?

To paraphrase the Bible slightly, it’s easy to love people that appear perfect to us. It’s very hard to love those that are imperfect, or who have hurt or disappointed us. Being Christian is loving even those that hurt or disappoint us.

Hope that helps, God bless you…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back